By Elliot Foster
Deontay Wilder has reacted angrily to the news that Dillian Whyte has tested positive for a banned substance.
It was reported on Wednesday that the heavyweight, who is now the mandatory challenger to Wilder’s WBC world title, tested positive for a banned substance ahead of his fight with the previously undefeated Oscar Rivas last weekend.
Whyte was dropped in round nine of his showdown against the Colombian, exclusively live on Sky Sports Box Office and DAZN, at the O2 Arena in London before coming out victorious on the scorecards by margins of 115-112, 115-112 and 116-111.
But since the fight, it has come to light that the 31-year-old Jamaican-born former MMA man tested positive, with BoxingScene.com’s very own Thomas Hauser reporting that ‘one or more’ banned substances were found in Whyte’s system.
And Wilder has now had his say on the latest events.
“Here you have a fighter that has been recently reported of taking [performance enhancing drugs]," he said. "In fact, it was said he had over more than one substance in his body.
“This fighter has been caught before using PEDs so this is his second attempt. This s**t has to stop...The bleeding has to stop somewhere.”
Whyte has already been handed a two-year ban, back in 2012, after being found to have a banned substance in his system which he claimed was ingested via the pre-workout supplement Jack3D.
The loss of Russian super-lightweight Maxim Dadashev, who died on Tuesday after sustaining a subdural hematoma in his 11th-round stoppage loss to Subriel Matias last weekend, is currently being felt around the boxing world.
And Wilder was quick to reference the tragedy when highlighting the dangers of fighters using performance enhancing drugs.
He added: “We just had a fighter to f*****g die in the ring because of taking too many blows to the head and you have idiots like [Dillian Whyte] want to CHEAT just to come up in his career because he’s not good enough to do it alone.”