Heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte has rejected any claims that he faked an injury in order to withdraw from a scheduled fight with Otto Wallin, which would have taken place on October 30.
Whyte revealed last week that suffered a shoulder injury during training camp - forcing him to withdraw from the fight.
Claims would quickly surface that Whyte withdrew from the fight in order to avoid any possible danger of defeat or injury - as the World Boxing Council is likely ordering a mandatory fight between Whyte and WBC world champion Tyson Fury.
However, Whyte disputes those suggestions and explains that he was fully planning to move forward with the fight until the injury came up.
“I was training, I was ready, I was prepared, spent a fortune on training camp. I saw Wallin’s complaining he spent $20,000 or something, I was like, ‘Well try spending six times that much.’ People are saying I pulled out because of whatever reason – if that was the case, why would I have four sparring partners here? I would’ve pulled out three weeks ago or whenever the [WBC] ruling was," Whyte told Talk Sport.
“I have the guys here, my whole team’s here. We suffered the injury, I wanted to fight. You’ve got professional people on your team, people who use their brain. I use my balls and my muscle. These guys are the brain guys – the surgeons and the doctors – and they told me, ‘If you fight, you’re gonna risk your career.'”
Whyte also confirmed the recent comments from his promoter, Eddie Hearn, who stated in a interview that his fighter would now target a title fight with Fury.
“Yeah of course. Fury’s got the world title and that’s what I’ve been waiting for, that’s what I’ve worked for. I don’t even know how much sanctioning fees I’ve paid. I could’ve easily abandoned this route and gone down another route years ago, but I’ve waited and I’ve waited and I’ve waited. So what am I gonna do? Fight Otto Wallin or fight Tyson Fury, what are you gonna do? It’s common sense. Like I said, I’m not scared of no-one. I wanted to fight," Whyte said.
Fury was in action earlier this month at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, when he overcame two knockdowns to score a sensational knockout of Deontay Wilder in the eleventh round of their trilogy fight.
“I think that third fight took a lot out of both men,” Whyte said.
"Tyson Fury doesn’t seem to be getting any better technically. He seems to be trying to be more of a puncher and trying to walk guys down. But I think that’s because he’s naturally slowing down now. I think he’s naturally slowing down now and it’s probably the Kronk style or whatever. He’s taken a lot more punishment than he used to.”