World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman was impressed by Tyson Fury's performance from last Saturday night.

Fury retained his WBC heavyweight title when he knocked out Dillian Whyte with a vicious uppercut in the sixth round, before a crowd of 94,000 at Wembley Stadium in London.

The crowd, mostly filled to the rafters with Fury fans, was one of the largest in boxing history.

"This event broke the attendance record for a boxing card in Europe and positioned itself as the second largest in boxing history only behind the Guinness Record of Mexican idol Julio César Chávez, with more than 136 thousand fans, on February 20, 1993, at the Azteca Stadium, promoted by Don King in association with Dan Goossen," Sulaiman said.

"Fury vs. Whyte broke two Guinness Records. The largest purse bid in history with $41 million, this was what Queensberry Promotions, in association with Top Rank, paid to acquire the rights to promote it."

Whyte, who the mandatory challenger, managed to land a handful of body shots, but was never able to land anything of note to Fury's head.

"Dillian Whyte came out to win and managed to land heavy body shots, but was never able to impactfully land to Tyson Fury's head with his wild overhead lefts and rights. Meanwhile, Tyson Fury looked great, judicially using the jab and was very mobile. Then, he unleashed the blockbuster right uppercut in round six, which rendered Whyte defenseless," Sulaiman said.

"The show did not end there. Tyson Fury took the microphone and sang Don McLean's famous American Pie tune, to the delight and rapture of the fans, who celebrated his kingship homecoming. Tyson Fury is our WBC heavyweight world champion. The same championship that has crowned Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Norton, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Vitali Klitschko and Deontay Wilder, in that order, with some other champions, who pursued the succession to the throne, so that Fury is the worthy successor, thus called Lineal champion."

Sulaiman also gave high praise to the referee, who regained control of the fight when both boxers were complaining of fouls in the fourth round. He also saved Whyte from further punishment in the sixth. Whyte made it to his feet, but his legs were gone and he stumbled to the ropes - which prompted the referee to quickly wave off the contest.

"It is necessary to recognize that the referee did a great job and had a tremendous performance. The fight turned into a pitched battle in the fourth round. Both fouled and it came close to becoming unmanageable. Mark Lyson applied authority with rigor and in so doing and so achieving, he kept and maintained firm control of the two angry giants," Sulaiman said.

"Fury announced his retirement at the press conference. We are going to let him rest, contemplate his future and then we will see what happens."