As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Gennady Golovkin finally has an opponent for his May 5 fight - which is going to be televised live on HBO.
The middleweight champion has found a replacement for Canelo Alvarez, who has been suspended for six months by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing two drug tests. Golovkin will defend his WBC, IBO, WBA and IBF titles against Vanes "The Nightmare" Martirosyan at the StubHub Center.
Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 knockouts) and Alvarez fought to a draw last September, and the rematch was the most anticipated bout of the year. But Alvarez tested positive for clenbuterol.
Martirosyan has lost three of his last six fights, including to Erislandy Lara for the WBA/IBO super welterweight crown in May of 2016. He has not fought since.
"I was on the bench because of boxing politics, but was in the gym waiting and praying for this and God gave me the opportunity," said Martirosyan to the Los Angeles Times.
"I'm going to take full advantage of this fight. It's not about money. It's about my boxing story and what type of fighter I am. I never back down and give 100%. This will be my best camp. I will win. I already know. The world will be shocked, but I've seen it happen already."
Should Triple G beat Martirosyan (36-3-1, 21 KOs), the rematch with Alvarez likely will take place later in the year. Alvarez's promoters say he will return to the ring in September.
Tom Loeffler, Triple G's promoter, said extra seats will be added at StubHub Center for the fight.
"Vanes Martirosyan brings a passionate Armenian fan base from nearby Glendale and an aggressive style of fighting," Loeffler said. "Best of all, he is ready and wants the fight. Golovkin vs. Martirosyan will definitely be the fiesta de resistance of Cinco De Mayo."