John Fury, the father for WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, would like to see his son retire from the sport.
Fury will pulled off a seventh round stoppage of Deontay Wilder at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday night, after they had fought to a controversial twelve round split draw in December 2018.
The 31-year-old Fury had previously beaten Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015 for the unified crown, but vacated the IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO titles while he fought depression and drug addiction.
He made his return to the ring in June 2018, and completed his remarkable turnaround by beating Wilder two and a half years later.
“I just want my son to retire now,” John Fury told Good Morning Britain.
“He’s done enough. It’s been an uphill battle for him. I think it’s in the back of his mind. He can’t do any more. He’s won every professional title. Enough is enough. There’s more to life now. He’s given it his all. He’s got no more to prove.”
Fury has previously said he would “seriously think about walking away” once his current three-fight deal expires with Top Rank and ESPN.
There are two fights remaining on that contract and one of those would be a third bout against Wilder, who has the option to exercise an immediate trilogy fight.
The rematch captured the attention of United States President Trump, who would like to have both heavyweights appear at the White House.
“That was a great fight,” Trump said. “Two great fighters, really very exciting. Maybe we have to bring them both to the White House because that was really a good one. In fact, I think we’ll do that.”
John Fury, a big fan of Trump, would like to see his son accept the invitation.
“That’s good for a Fury, isn’t it,” John Fury said.
“I’m a big fan of Donald Trump. It’s been an amazing journey, look where it’s ended. And what a great point to bow out on – a meeting in the White House.”