As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, negotiations for Tyson Fury to challenge the WBC heavyweight champion, Deontay Wilder, in December have begun, with the fight possibly taking place in the US.
Fury, 29, fights for the second time since beginning his comeback when he meets the little-known Italian Francesco Pianeta at Belfast’s Windsor Park on August 18.
He has made little secret of his desire to fight either of the division’s world champions, Wilder and Anthony Joshua, and insists he and his promoter, Frank Warren, are ready to take advantage of the breakdown in negotiations for a Joshua-Wilder unification fight.
Fury will have fought only four unremarkable rounds, against the Albanian Sefer Seferi, in little under three years by the time of his bout with Pianeta. Joshua fights Russia’s Alexander Povetkin on September 22 but there remains hope that terms will be agreed for him to fight Wilder in April.
"It's 99 percent done as far as I'm concerned," explained Fury to Sky Sports.
"There's been no arguments over money, splits or promoters. It's how real men do it, we do the business, straight to it, no messing around, no hiding from the big fights.
"If you're good enough you're good enough, and if you're not, forget about it, go home."
Fury's promoter Frank Warren told the BBC: “We are close to making this happen. Is it too soon? The next fight will give us the answer. The way Tyson is looking in the gym, he’s lost another couple of stone. He’s very focused.”
The promoter said the fight could take place in November or December. He said Fury was prepared for a fight outside the UK. “Tyson doesn’t care where it happens. He’ll fly to the States if needed.
“If I didn’t think he was ready I wouldn’t put him forward. If he comes through the Pianeta fight in August, I expect him to fight Wilder before the end of the year. He wants it. He feels good about everything. He’s in a good place at the moment both physically and mentally.”