Olympic gold medal winner Tony Yoka has been banned from boxing in France for a period of one year.

The sentence was handed down on Thursday by France's anti-doping agency.

According to several outlets in France, French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) has punished Yoka for missing three anti-doping tests in less than a year.

Initially, BoxingScene.com reported a few months ago that French Boxing Federation had issued a one year "suspended" sentence on Yoka for the missed tests.

But the AFLD has revised that ruling . The ban does not exist in the World Anti-Doping Code except in a rare case of assistance to the investigation.

"The AFLD severely sanctions what it recognizes itself to be an administrative negligence," stated Yoka's lawyer Arnaud Pericard.

"This is a disappointing decision in light of the particular circumstances of the case, Tony's remorse and good faith. It forgets two fundamental principles of French law, the non-automaticity of sanctions and respect for the principle of proportionality."

Yoka, had signed a four-year deal with media company Vivendi, capitalizing on his Olympic super-heavyweight title won in Rio in 2016. He received 1 million euros at signing and nearly 250,000 euros per fight over four years. The goal was to become the first French heavyweight world champion.

He also signed a promotional deal with Ringstar Sports - which is run by Richard Schaefer.

Yoka, 25, can no longer box under the aegis of the French Federation but he could box abroad.

"I'm told I could box abroad, but I'm not interested," Yoka said. "I always said that I wanted to box in my country, bring the first worl heavyweight championship belt here."

Yoka (5-0, 4 KOs) was in action last month, when he stopped British contender David Allen in the tenth round.

Since the beginning of the case, Yoka has claimed negligence. In July 2016, September 2016 and March 2017, Yoka was not present at the location he indicated and where anti-doping controllers went.

After his victory at the Games with his partner, Estelle Mossely, also an Olympic champion - he stated "We were on our cloud. We took six months of vacation without training, we did not think about doing anti-doping tests. The no-show of July 2016, was just before the Olympics, and would mean a day when Yoka was on a plane back from the United States with the French team.

"There was negligence on my part, especially after the Olympics," said Yoka. "But this is not a doping case. There has never been any medication taken."