Patrick Teixeira couldn’t help but feel slighted over the accusation made by his divisional peer.
Jermell Charlo (34-1, 18KOs) came up big in perhaps the biggest fight of his career to date, scoring three knockdowns en route to an 8th round knockout Jeison Rosario (20-2-1, 14KOs) in their Showtime Pay-Per-View headlining junior middleweight title unification clash.
The win from this past Saturday netted the Houston native the WBA and IBF titles to go along with his WBC strap, along with claim to the lineal junior middleweight championship. In terms of true undisputed status as it relates to the four-belt era, there still remains one more prize.
Brazil’s Teixeria (31-1, 25KOs) hold the WBO 154-pound title, having won the interim version in a 12-round nod over previously unbeaten Carlos Adames last November. An upgrade came just four days later, advancing to World title status after previous claimant Jaime Munguia abandoned his reign to compete at middleweight.
While he is currently tied to a forthcoming mandatory title defense versus Argentina’s Brian Castano (16-0-1, 12KOs), Teixeira has already expressed his interest in entering a full unification bout for his first fight of the new year. Apparently word didn’t make its way to this past weekend’s big winner, or he simply didn’t believe the claim to be true.
“De La Hoya guy got the other belt,” Charlo noted following his win over Rosario, referring to Teixeira, whom fights under de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions banner. “If he wanna put his – with victories like that and total domination, I don’t think they [want me]. I got bad intentions, man. I come to ruin they health.
“Like Mike [Tyson] said, I wanna ruin they health. I don’t care about no belts. I don’t care about none of that. They don’t wanna fight me. I’m different. I punch for real. “I don’t know about Teixeira. I never even seen him fight before, but I’m willing to get in there with him.”
Needless to say, plenty of interest still remains in such a bout.
“Charlo, for you to be the best, you need to beat me,” Teixeira told BoxingScene.com. “Right now, I have a mandatory fight. If the WBO authorizes it, though, I will be happy to end your career and then fight Castano next.”
Teixera was ordered to next defend his title versus Castano as per a ruling at the same WBO convention last December where he also received his upgrade to true world title status. The two were due to collide this past April, only for the event to get canceled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
An updated ruling from the WBO called for the bout to take place by no later than end of November 2020. Golden Boy Promotions is working on a date for the fight, with Castano’s services being provided by manager Sebastian Contursi and adviser Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) conglomerate.
Charlo also fights under the PBC banner, as well as the bulk of the top players in the junior middleweight division. Teixeira is one of the few notable 154-pound boxers not associated with PBC, though will be more than happy to run through the stable if given the opportunity.
“I will end PBC’s hold on 154,” insists Teixeira. “Charlo, I promise you are not Lions Only. You are nothing but a little kitten.”
Jake Donovan is a senior writer for BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox