Advertisement: IBO Boxing
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com
Advertisement

Sources: Canelo, Golden Boy, DAZN Meet in Effort To Work Through Impasse

It’s too soon to say whether superstar Canelo Alvarez, promoter Golden Boy and broadcaster DAZN will work out their issues but they are least trying to.

Representatives from all three camps spent more than eight hours speaking to each other on a video conference on Wednesday in an effort to smooth things over, multiple sources told BoxingScene.com.

Alvarez, who has not fought since November and is not happy that his next fight is not yet scheduled, forced their hand recently when he filed a federal lawsuit against Golden Boy, his longtime promoter, and DAZN, the streaming service that signed him in October 2018 to a five-year, 11-fight deal worth a then-athlete record $365 million Alvarez.

canelo-alvarez (31)

So far, Alvarez has had first three fights under the agreement – wins over Rocky Fielding, Daniel Jacobs and Sergey Kovalev – but efforts to finalize the fourth fight have been rocky. DAZN has wanted Alvarez to fight rival Gennadiy Golovkin for a third time (even though he is not presently available with a mandatory middleweight title defense on tap for November) and has declined to approve any other opponents for Alvarez to fight for the full freight of the contract.

DAZN owes Golden Boy a $40 million license fee for an Alvarez fight with the boxer due to receive $35 million of it. Golden Boy has offered the streaming service unbeaten super middleweight titleholders Callum Smith and Billy Joe Saunders. While DAZN, according to sources, will approve both of them, it would only do so by paying a fraction of the $40 million.

Alvarez, already willing to fight without spectators due to the coronavirus pandemic, which would cost him millions in lost ticket sales, contends that DAZN does not even have approval rights over his opponents in the contract he signed. He alleges that Golden Boy gave DAZN those rights without his knowledge in the agreement between the promoter and broadcaster.

It led to Alvarez filing the lawsuit against Golden Boy Promotions, owner/CEO/chairman Oscar De La Hoya and DAZN in United States federal court for the Central District of California, claiming damages of at least $280 million, the remainder of his contract, and also asking for “a judicial determination that he is eligible to participate in bouts arranged and promoted by entities other than Golden Boy Promotions and broadcast by entities other than DAZN.”

Mexico’s Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs), boxing biggest attraction, sued for breach of contract, intentional interference with a contract, negligent interference with a contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.

The lawsuit, which was filed on Sept. 8, was later thrown out by the court but only for technicalities in the way it was filed. Alvarez plans to file an amended complaint, which is due by the end of business on Monday, a source with knowledge of the fighter’s thinking told BoxingScene.

However, perhaps the window between when the suit was thrown out and the deadline to be refilled has given everyone involved some breathing room and led to their efforts to work something out.

“If they’re talking that is a good thing. It is certainly better than if they weren’t talking,” one source with knowledge of the meeting said.

De La Hoya, just hours before the suit was originally filed, told BoxingScene that the last thing he wanted was litigation over the issues.

“If I have a contract and if I don’t live it up to it what’s going to happen? And, yes, we don’t want to litigate. That’s the last resort. That’s not even a resort for us,” De La Hoya said. “We’ve been great partners, yes, they’ve been great partners. We just want to get a fight going. The fans deserve it.”

Not only does DAZN owe Alvarez two fights per years it also owes Golden Boy money to put on 10 additional events per year. DAZN had yet to finalize any Golden Boy dates for this fall with one person with knowledge of the situation believing the dates were “being held hostage” due to the Alvarez litigation.

However, it is clear there has been some sort of thaw in the relationship as DAZN and Golden Boy formally announced an event on Tuesday. It will take place on Oct. 30 with former junior middleweight world titleholder Jaime Munguia (35-0, 28 KOs) squaring off with Tureano Johnson (21-2-1, 15 KOs) in a middleweight main event at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California.

How much progress Alvarez, Golden Boy and DAZN have made toward a settlement might well be known by Monday, the deadline for when Alvarez’s amended lawsuit would need to be refilled.

Dan Rafael was ESPN.com's senior boxing writer for fifteen years, and covered the sport for five years at USA Today. He was the 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism.

User Comments and Feedback
Comment by UNBANNED on 09-26-2020

[QUOTE=Jab jab boom;20776478]Worst contract in sports since the Mets agreed to pay Bobby Bonilla 1 mil per yr until 2035. Outside of a 3rd fight with ggg, Canelo can't generate the amount of money necessary to justify 35 mil per…

Comment by UNBANNED on 09-26-2020

[QUOTE=Fanofreason;20776538]You had no problem with GGG Vs Derv but Charlo be him is watered down?[/QUOTE] Yes, exactly.

Comment by boxingitis on 09-26-2020

Canelo fighting nobodies is not worth 30 some million, even him fighting top oppenents is not worth 30 million.

Comment by sicko on 09-25-2020

Hopefully something gets worked out to at least get some fights rolled out even during a potential Lawsuit Other fighters shouldn't suffer because Canelo is not happy

Comment by Fighter78 on 09-25-2020

[QUOTE=Boxingfanatic75;20777107]You are correct. However their investment to break into the US market has been a complete failure with less than one million subs that decreases monthly through ebbs and flows. Their multi million dollar Boxing deals have also proven miserable…

ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (61)
Advertisement
Top Headlines
Ryan Karl Hopes Win Over Mario Barrios Can Lead To Taylor or Ramirez Brook: I Applaud Crawford For Taking The Fight, He'll Be in There With a Monster! Santa Cruz: My Body is Growing, Feeling Much Stronger At This New Weight Hearn Wonders How Usyk Will Do Under Heavy Fire From Chisora Euro News: Hammer Return Delayed, Mollenberg, Jurk Goes Pro, More Khabib Wants To See Oleksandr Usyk Face Tyson Fury Parker Begins Training Camp For Fa, Trainer Finishes 14 Day Quarantine Leo Santa Cruz: I'm Fighting This Fight For My Family, For My Dad Gervonta Davis: Gamboa Fight Wasn't My Best Performance, It Was Bad For My Fans Crawford vs. Brook To Air Live on Premier Sports 1 In UK Arum on Lopez’s Future: Garcia and Davis Are Big Fights - Haney is Not! Dan Rafael Breaks Down His International Boxing Hall of Fame Votes Kaisy Khademi vs. Ijaz Ahmed Added To November 13 BT Sport Card Berlanga: I'm Ready To Go Rounds, But See Fear in Eyes of Opponents Povetkin Will Be in Better Form For Whyte Rematch, Says Promoter Alex Vargas, Melissa Parker Eye Up Big Challenges in The New Year With Canelo In Limbo, Munguia Borrows The Mexican Torch And Eyes GGG Gervonta Davis' Weight Issues Have Been Blown Out Of Proportion, Ellerbe Says Chocolatito, Estrada Look Forward To Rematch War in 2021 Lipinets' Manager Prefers Porter or Abdukakhorov Next, Not Clayton Conwell Believes Davis' Power Will Be Too Much For Santa Cruz Leo Santa Cruz: Beating Davis Will Open The Door For More PPV Events Never Leaving Las Vegas? Gervonta Davis Finds Training Focus In Sin City Navarrete: I Want To Unify Titles Against Warrington; Styles Would Mesh Perfectly Xavier Martinez: I Showed I Could Come Back and Win, I Didn't Fold Subriel Matias: I Want World Title Eliminator, I'll Fight Anyone Lipinets Willing To Do Rematch, Clayton is More Than Willing Mayweather Unsure If He'll Work Gervonta Davis' Corner For Santa Cruz Fight Devin Haney: I Thought Teofimo Won, But A Lot Was On What Loma Didn't Do Lipinets-Clayton Ends in Draw, IBF Interim-Title Remains Vacant Subriel Matias Breaks Down, Stops Malik Hawkins Xavier Martinez Overcomes Near Disaster To Decision Marrero Carlos Cuadras Felt That He Proved His Level in Estrada Rematch Ryan Garcia: Gervonta Davis is My Loma Fight, I Want Him & Lopez in 2021! Canelo's Coach Reacts To Facing Spence, Likes Charlo For 2021 Sergey Lipinets, Custio Clayton Battle To Twelve Round Majority Draw Sergey Lipinets vs. Custio Clayton - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Xavier Martinez Dropped Twice, Recovers To Decision Claudio Marrero Xavier Martinez vs. Claudio Marrero - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Subriel Matias Breaks Down, Drops, Stops Malik Hawkins
Advertisement
Advertisement
Latest Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement