By Pablo Fletes, notifight.com
Nicaragua's triple world champion Román 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez, who currently owns the flyweight belt of the World Boxing Council (WBC) and graded by experts as the best fighter pound for pound fight in the world, has confirmed his next ring return.
On Tuesday, Roman confirmed that he will return on April 23rd, where the star will be once again be paired with IBO/WBA/IBF middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, who defends his belt against unbeaten American challenger Dominic Wade.
The card, which is promoted by K2 Promotions, will be staged at the Forum in Inglewood, Los Angeles, California.
"Right now I do not know who I will be fighting, but my next fight is confirmed for April 23 in Los Angeles," Gonzalez said after a news conference in Managua.
Gonzalez would like to face Mexico's Juan Hernandez on the card. Other possible names being floated include McWilliams Arroyo, a prominent Puerto Rican flyweight who last year unsuccessfully contested for the IBF flyweight title against Thai Amnat Ruenroeng.
"I think I'd like to face Mexico's Churritos Hernandez belt because he throws a lot of combinations and would be a good fight," he said.
This past Saturday, "Churritos" Hernandez knocked former world champion Jesus "Negrito" Silvestre in two rounds.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has already promised to sanction a fight between Gonzalez and Hernandez. He says discussions are ongoing and looking good.
"Chocolatito" Gonzalez (44-0, 38 KOs) is ready for everyone.
"No matter who the opponent will be, we will prepare with everything for this defense. On March 6 we are going to Costa Rica to focus for this fight as we did for the previous one with Brian Viloria, because doing that did well for us," Gonzalez said.
"Chocolatito" is still hoping to get his hands on Mexico's Juan Francisco "Gallo" Estrada, who holds the WBA/WBO world titles.
"I want that fight with Gallo Estrada. HBO has the final say and hopefully we can make the fight for this year," Gonzalez said.