Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Rizin Aims To Get Mayweather vs. Nasukawa Back on Track

Last Wednesday, former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather scrapped a planned fight with Japanese kickboxing superstar Tenshin Nasukawa, claiming he had been duped into agreeing to the contest.

In a lengthy statement posted on social media, Mayweather said he had been "blindsided" by MMA promotional company Rizin, who are the organizers of the proposed bout, which was scheduled to take place on New Year's Eve in Saitama.

"I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa," Mayweather wrote on Instagram.

mayweather-rizin-tokyo (3)

The 41-year-old retired fighter said he had travelled to Japan to take part in a press conference to announce a private bout against Nasukawa for a "small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee."

"This exhibition was previously arranged as a 'Special Bout' purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight nor televised worldwide," Mayweather wrote.

Soon after arriving at a press conference in Tokyo on Monday, Mayweather said he and his team "were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going."

"We should have put a stop to it immediately," Mayweather wrote.

"I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference.

"I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent or approval."

Mayweather's withdrawal from the contest followed his appearance at a press event in Tokyo last Monday in which he vowed to give "blood, sweat and tears" in the fight.

In fact, most of Mayweather's pre-withdrawal statements - with respect to the event - are contradictory with his claims of being blindsided.

"It's always been a goal of mine to go outside out of the US and display my talent. The world has never seen Mayweather compete live in (Japan)," Mayweather told reporters at the press conference, framing the fight as an expansion of his businesses to the Far East.

BoxingScene.com has first reported last Tuesday, that Mayweather-Nasukawa was going to be an exhibition, likely for no more than three rounds, and fought under traditional boxing rules. The only twist would have likely seen the two fighters use MMA-style gloves.

Rizin issued a statement on the matter, with the organization hoping to work out the issues with Mayweather in order to get the fight back on track.

“At a press conference held on November 5, 2018, we at RIZIN announced that the RIZIN 14 fight card at the Saitama Super Arena on December 31, 2018, would be headlined by Floyd Mayweather vs. Tenshin Nasukawa. However, shortly after this announcement, Mr. Mayweather himself made an announcement through social media. This message seemed to be insisting that the match had been canceled, and we sincerely apologize for this confusion," the company stated in Japanese and translated to English by mmasucka.com.

“RIZIN Chairman, Nobuyuki Sakakibara, is currently holding discussions towards carrying out the match based on the original contract between our promotion and Mr. Mayweather. This based on the basic agreement we initially did have with Mr. Mayweather. We hope to have a clearer announcement next week.

“In truth, we would like to make a clearer announcement now. Unfortunately, as of writing, we are not in the position to report our current negotiating situation to you all. Thus, this statement will concern our ongoing developments. Sadly, we are afraid to inform you all that we will be needing more time. Again, we sincerely apologize for the confusion and concern this has been causing.”

Mayweather has not fought since his money-spinning boxing showdown with mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor in Las Vegas in 2017. Mayweather returned to retirement following that bout with a perfect 50-0 record.

However, Mayweather has repeatedly hinted at coming out of retirement since that fight, most recently teasing a possible rematch against Manny Pacquiao.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM on 11-12-2018

he's basically a clown now so..

Comment by micky1971 on 11-12-2018

Always a mayweather fan but in reality, he feels left out. Bless him lol

Comment by Ray* on 11-12-2018

The only reason Mayweather would ever agree to fight would be for easy money without too much commitment or risk. Whether these guys used his name intentionally or not, they have got immense promotion for their fighter and their name…

Comment by bigdunny1 on 11-12-2018

These phukers tried to scam Floyd he would be a idiot to listen to anything they have to say now. He looked like a POW held hostage at the press conference and waited till he was back on US soil…

Comment by P4Pdunny on 11-12-2018

who wants to see this?

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (30)
Top Headlines Davis on Pedraza KO vs. Loma's UD: 2 shots vs 43 shots, You Pick Hopkins: Wilder Beat Fury - Will Knock Him Out in Rematch! Joseph Parker Promises No More 'Mr. Nice Guy' With Flores Kautondokwa Does Not Regret Andrade Fight, Will Return Soon Moore: No Surprise if Carl Frampton Stops Josh Warrington Warren, Hearn Trade Words Over December 22 Head To Head Canelo: Moving To 168 Evens Up My Advantages Over Fielding Wilder Explains How Mayweather Hurts His Entire Stable, Boxing Kai Robin Havnaa Headlines Hometown Card on March 2 Hearn: I Think Usyk Returns in April or May, 1 or 2 Before Joshua Tevin Farmer: I'm Looking To Shock The World, Make Statements De La Hoya: Mad Respect For Wilder, Fury - But Joshua is Best! Pacquiao Plans To Sit With Broner, Make Him Turn To God Video: David Lemieux on Facing Canelo, Johnson, Saunders Video: Canleo Talks Golovkin Trilogy, Rocky Fielding, More Shields Opener Draws Peak Audience In Last HBO Boxing Card Photos: Canelo, Rocky Fielding Make Grand Arrivals in NYC Video: Bernard Hopkins Discusses Wilder-Fury, Canelo, More De La Hoya Warns White: 40-50 UFC Fighters Are Calling Me Roach is Critical of Corner Work of Fury's Coach in Wilder Fight Photos: Gilberto Ramirez, Jesse Hart - Show Off Moves at Workout Loma-Pedraza Averaged 2,013,000 Viewers; Ranks 2nd In 2018 De La Hoya: GGG 3 Happens When We Say, We Call The Shots! News: Don King, Charlo Brothers, Filip Hrgovic, More Richard Commey Very Confident Ahead of Chaniev Clash Hearn: If Wilder Cares About Legacy, He'll Fight Joshua Next Daniel Jacobs: I Want Canelo in May - Let's Do This! Loma Thinks Pedraza Would've Beaten Davis If He Prepared Better Wilder Laughs: Joshua, Hearn Definitely 'Begging' Now To Fight! Emmanuel Rodriguez To Train in Cuba For Naoya Inoue Clash PBC, ITV Reveals Details of Three Year Content Deal Charlo: All Monroe Has To Worry About is Getting Knocked Out DiBella: Big, Strong Commey Would Be Live Underdog With Loma Andrade: Canelo in For a Rude Awakening When We Fight! Photos: Alvarez, Kovalev - Face To Face at Rematch Presser Photos: Kubrat Pulev Comes on Board With Top Rank Presser Alexander Flores Aims To Knock Joseph Parker Out Hearn: I Think Anthony Joshua Knocks Deontay Wilder Spark Out Canelo is Aiming To Win Rocky Fielding Fight By Knockout Photos: Pacquiao Continues Hard Work in Camp For Broner
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement