Advertisement: IBO Boxing
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com
Advertisement

Pulev Anxious For Mandatory Fight Against Joshua To Be Rescheduled

The biggest heavyweight fight in boxing – maybe the biggest fight in the sport, period – is certainly a showdown for the undisputed championship between British countrymen Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.

Some have speculated that perhaps the fight could take place at the end of the year, but that is unlikely for a variety of reasons.

Most have focused on the fact that even though former titleholder Deontay Wilder exercised his contractual right to a third fight with Fury following a seventh-round knockout loss in their rematch on Feb. 22 in Las Vegas, he might be open to accepting a step-aside deal to forgo an immediate third fight with Fury.

Wilder, however, who is recovering from surgery on his left biceps following the loss, has said time and again that he will face Fury next, although the bout likely would not happen until at least November.

But even if Wilder was willing to make a deal to step aside to allow Fury to pursue a fight with Joshua – Fury co-promoter Frank Warren has denied rumors that Wilder was offered a deal to step aside -- the path would still not be clear. The reason is because Joshua has a signed agreement to make a mandatory defense in his next bout against Kubrat Pulev, who is focused on that being his next fight.

“We have signed contracts for that fight and everything is ready,” Pulev told BoxingScene. “We worked on this contract for maybe two months and it was not so easy. But now we have this contract and I am ready. I don’t want to wait. I want the title fight with Anthony Joshua and I will beat him really good and get the second knockout against him. I am the mandatory challenger and these are the rules. It doesn’t matter who wants to box him or who he wants to box. Anthony Joshua has to box me.”

kubrat-pulev (3)_1

Joshua (23-1, 21 KOs) and Pulev (28-1, 14 KOs), of Bulgaria, were scheduled to fight on June 20 at the 70,000-seat Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London but it had to be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The fight is due to be the first defense of Joshua’s second title reign. He lost his unified belts by shocking seventh-round knockout to Andy Ruiz Jr. in June at New York’s Madison Square Garden in what was Joshua’s United States debut before regaining the belts via one-sided unanimous decision in an immediate rematch in December in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.

Joshua promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing and Pulev co-promoters John Wirt and Ivaylo Gotzev of Epic Sports and Top Rank’s Bob Arum have been talking about efforts to reschedule the fight, not about any sort of step-aside deal.

“The fact is we have a signed and sealed contract with Joshua, so there are no arguments there,” Gotzev told BoxingScene. “There are two separate signed contracts between four fighters – a signed contract for Fury and Wilder to have a third fight and Wilder has executed his rights. That’s a known fact. And there is also the contract we have for Anthony Joshua to fight Kubrat Pulev. We’ve waited for this fight for a long time. We’re not going away. We must fight Joshua next, per our signed agreement.

“There hasn’t been a single word about a step-aside deal. We haven’t been approached about one. We are all interested in rescheduling Joshua-Pulev as soon as possible.”

Gotzev said earlier this week he was on a teleconference with Hearn, others from Matchroom Boxing, Arum and others from Top Rank, to discuss rescheduling the bout.

“We all talked about the current conditions and the progression of the coronavirus,” Gotzev said. “We’ve given ourselves time to explore different possibilities.”

One potential date is July 25 but whether the fight can still be staged in London remains to be seen because of the coronavirus situation. It also remains to be seen if the fight can be held with spectators, regardless of where the bout takes place.

“One possibility might include finding a different venue than the Tottenham Stadium if necessary,” Gotzev said. “We do understand some countries are experiencing tougher times because of this virus and the U.K. is one of them. So it will come down to their regulations if we can have the fight there or if we have to have it with no crowd or if we have to go somewhere else.”

The British Boxing Board of Control, which regulates professional boxing in the United Kingdom, announced this week that it believes the sport could resume there in July but with no spectators, a maximum of five bouts per show and testing for Covid-19.

Doing a heavyweight world title fight with no spectators is not ideal, but Gotzev and Hearn have both said it may have to be the case.

“Just because there might not be a crowd, rest assured it will be an exciting fight for the people watching on TV,” Gotzev said. “We are looking at options about where to have the fight and we have some spectacular venues we are looking at. No one expected this, so it’s nobody’s fault if we have to move the fight, but all parties agree we will work through it and make the fight happen sooner than later.”

Pulev said he couldn’t care less where the fight takes place.

“I am ready to fight everywhere,” Pulev said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s London or anywhere else. Anthony Joshua said the fight had to be in London and I said, ‘OK, no problem.’”

But what if a deal to step aside was offered to Pulev?

“I am ready for this fight against Joshua, so I don’t know. Nobody knows. I want this fight,” said Pulev, who has won eight fights in a row since losing by knockout to then-unified world champion Wladimir Klitschko in November 2014. “When somebody comes to me and tells me something and offers me something, maybe. I don’t know, but I want this fight, I am ready for this fight and I believe this fight will happen this year.

“I’ve waited a long time for this fight with Anthony Joshua. I am the longtime mandatory for this fight, but I am open for talking, no problem. But I want this fight. That’s it.”

Dan Rafael was ESPN.com's senior boxing writer for fifteen years, and covered the sport for five years at USA Today. He was the 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism.

User Comments and Feedback
Comment by P4Pdunny on 05-03-2020

can't wait till this clown gets dispatched

Comment by Mick Higgs on 05-03-2020

A Fury/Joshua unification out trumps any mandatory, so Pulev doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding a step aside pay cheque.

Comment by Oshio on 05-03-2020

Pulev is not a threat to Efe Ajagba not to talk of Joshua. His gaze is on the money not the work. He would go down by himself in round 3

Comment by Laligalaliga on 05-02-2020

Pulev will get his fight. Hez waited enough.

Comment by Squared.Circle on 05-02-2020

Pulev desperate for that AJ money so he can retire and buy a bungalow in Bulgaria.

ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (7)
Advertisement
Top Headlines
Forrest: I'd Still Have Beaten Jarrell Miller On PEDs; Don't Think Much Of Him As Fighter Joe Joyce: I Have To Avoid Injury, Make Sure I Look Good Against Wallisch Kayie Taylor-Delfine Persoon Rematch Finalized For August 22 Jerry Forrest: I Know Takam Can't Out-Box Me & My Power Is Deceiving Showtime Card 8/1 At Mohegan Sun; FOX Show 8/8 At Microsoft Theater In LA Takam's Promoter: Forrest's Style Is Difficult, But Hasn't Fought Same Type Of Opposition Judging The Judges: Lopez-Vences Scorecard Analysis Jerry Forrest: The People Know That I Won My Fight With Jermaine Franklin Steve Wood Adds Brandon Daord To Managerial Stable Jeff Horn Admits He Felt Betrayed By Ex-Trainer Helping Tim Tszyu Helenius Willing To Face Luis Ortiz or Andy Ruiz in Final Eliminator Daniel Dubois, Joe Joyce Set For Interim-Bouts Ahead of October Fight Carlos Takam vs. Jerry Forrest: The Value Of Eyeballs Arum Updates on Taylor-Khongsong, Fury-Wilder, Frampton, Conlan, Ramirez-Postol Lomachenko vs. Lopez Now Targeted For October 3, Says Arum Felix Verdejo Promises More Aggression, Punching Against Madera DiBella: Tagoe vs. Ryan Garcia Would Be Highly Competitive, Exciting Carlos Castro, Cesar Juarez - Set For Fireworks Clash Carlos Takam, Jerry Forrest - Ready For Battle in Las Vegas Takam-Forrest Weigh-In Report From Las Vegas Jared Anderson: I Want To Stay as Active as Possible in real Fights Jayson Velez Explains Why He Selected Oscar Valdez Over Chris Colbert MTK Global Card in Kazakhstan Postponed Due To Lockdown DAZN Offering Free Beta Version Test For Summer Boxing Shows Joseph Parker vs. Junior Fa - Teams Continue Heated Talks To Finalize Deal Dillian Whyte Splits Amicably With Trainer Mark Tibbs Jason Moloney: This Is Just The Beginning, Ready To Cause Mayhem Manager: Valdez Looking To Make Statement On July 21, Then Challenge Berchelt Josh Taylor: I'm Really Confident I'll Knock Ramirez Out, Take All The Belts Rethinking P4P: Trying to Measure Who Beat Who...and When Jose Zepeda Outboxes Kendo Castaneda For Decision Win Luis Alberto Lopez Stuns Andy Vences For Upset Win Miguel Cotto Aims To Stage Event on August 22 in Puerto Rico Cutman Capetillo Reveals Tyson Fury's Generous Gesture During Pandemic Jose Zepeda: Anybody With a Belt at 140 pounds is Who I Want To Fight Frank Warren Hopes His Fighters Aim To Impress at BT Sport Studios Whyte Rejects Idea of Step-Aside Deal To Allow Fury-Joshua Jose Zepeda Boxes Past a Game Kendo Castaneda Over Ten Jose Zepeda vs. Kendo Castaneda - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Luis Alberto Lopez Rocks, Shocks Andy Vences With Split Decision
Advertisement
Advertisement
Latest Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement