Kell Brook will have to hold off from making any concrete fight plans, at least until Amir Khan gives him the green light.
Ben Shalom, the head of the British promotional outfit Boxxer, which promoted the Amir Khan-Kell Brook welterweight grudge match on Feb. 19 at Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, stated in an interview published Feb. 24 that Khan has “three weeks” to decide whether or not he wants to take advantage of a clause in the bout contract stipulating his right to a rematch in the event of a loss. Khan was knocked out in six rounds by Brook, who was dominant from the opening bell.
“The problem we’ve got, and no one has mentioned it so far, is that Amir Khan has a rematch clause in his contract,” Shalom said in an interview with talkSPORT.
Shalom, however, like most observers, thinks a rematch would not be in Khan’s interest, given how lopsided the fight, billed as a 50-50 match, turned out.
“It’s not something we would advise and it’s something we don’t think Amir should do, but he does have that option,” Shalom continued.
Shalom, moreover, said that he heard “murmurs” from Khan’s camp that he was “jet lagged” ahead of the bout and “didn’t take Kell too seriously.” (Khan held his training camp in Nebraska and Colorado under the stewardship of Brian McIntyre, the head coach of WBO welterweight titleholder Terence Crawford). Shalom does not expect the end result of the rematch to turn out any differently for Khan. However, Shalom said the decision is out of his control and ultimately depends on Khan.
“I don’t think it (rematch) will happen, but it’s not something in our control,” Shalom said. “It is something we agreed to before the fight, something Kell agreed to before the fight and he has three weeks to decide if he wants to fight him again.
“Amir got demolished in that fight and I would expect that to happen again. Technically he would be entitled to that rematch.”
Khan (34-6, 21 KOs) himself hinted after the fight that he could be leaning toward retiring from fighting.
Shalom, who is the exclusive “house” boxing promoter for Sky Sports, believes that Brook (40-3, 28 KOs), on the other hand, will continue fighting given that he is now once more a hot commodity. If so, Brook will have no shortage of attractive suitors. Shalom cited several fighters who have expressed their interest in fighting Brook, most notably fellow Brits Chris Eubank Jr. (32-2, 23 KOs), the middleweight contender, and the rising welterweight Conor Benn (20-0, 13 KOs).
Shalom noted that American welterweight contenders Keith Thurman (30-1, 22 KOs) and Danny Garcia (36-3, 21 KOs) – or their representatives, rather – have also touched base with him about their interest in fighting Brook.
“He wants to continue,” Shalom said of Brook. “He wants to have one or two more. After a night like that, as much as people say walk away on a high, it’s extremely hard to walk away.
“Obviously he’s been called out by Chris, by Conor. We’ve even had Danny Garcia and Thurman inquiring as to what’s going on.
“There are options for him, but we have to wait for this two or three week window to collapse.”