Pat McCormack endured a frustrating evening of his first appearance since signing with Matchroom as the Olympic silver medallist was taken the full six rounds by negative Argentinian Christian Nicolas Andino on the Whyte-Franklin undercard at Wembley.

McCormack, who managed just two fights in a year since the Tokyo Olympics, both ending in the first round, just couldn’t pin down Andino, who ran, clowned and held for the entire welterweight fight.

Certainly, McCormack could have done better cutting the ring down but he was the only one interested in fighting. Referee Reece Carter scored it 60-54.

Andino covered a lot of yards in the opening round as his tactics were mainly moving away at speed, followed by a wild punch and a clinch. Twice he was thrown to the floor as he clung on.

It was more of the same in the second, although McCormack did clock him with one decent left and a right near the end. In the third there were signs of frustration from McCormack at Andino’s constant holding.

But the pattern continued, McCormack struggling to close down the ring, while Andino seemed not the slightest bit interested in engaging.

Sandy Ryan kept hold of her WBC international super-lightweight belt with an overwhelming unanimous decision over Anahi Ester Sanchez, of Argentina.

For the first half the fight was routine, as Ryan kept mostly on the backfoot and drew Sanchez onto her, but it heated up in the later rounds as Ryan tried for a stoppage.

Sanchez, a former four-weight world champion, was best known in Britain for losing her WBA lightweight title to Katie Taylor in Cardiff. She found Ryan quite easy to hit at times, but couldn’t put enough punches together and Ryan dominated.

Things heated up in the eighth as Ryan went forward but was nailed by a big right. Near the end of the round, Ryan pinned Sanchez on the ropes and landed a barrage of punches, all of which seemed to land.

Sanchez was tiring in the ninth and Ryan hurt her again, landing one huge right that had Sanchez rocking back on the ropes.

But there was a spirited revival by Sanchez in the last round as she landed a solid hook early on and then battled her way to the final bell.

The scores were 100-92, 99-91 and 98-92.

Credit to Cheavon Clarke, not only for his two-round stoppage of Jose Ulrich but the fact that he declined the opportunity of a free shot at the defenseless Argentinian when he realized he had badly hurt him before referee Reece Carter had.

Ulrich was down in the first round, as Clarke landed a swift counter, but was under the pump throughout, particularly from the GB Olympian’s body punching.

But early in the second, Clarke made room up close to bring through a huge uppercut. Ulrich reeled away on rubber legs, clearly badly hurt. Clarke knew he was hurt and declined to land a follow up punch, while Carter took several seconds to realise and then jumped in to stop it as Ulrich almost fell over. The end came at 0:32 of round two, with Ulrich needed the attention of paramedics on his stool for several minutes before being well enough to regain his feet.

Mark Dickinson extended his unbeaten record to 4-0 as he claimed a six-round decision over Gideon Onyenani, who made him work hard in a fight lacking highlights. Referee Reece Carter scored it 59-56.

Irish heavyweight Thomas Carty knocked lumps out of Ukraine’s Pavlo Krolenko before stopping him in the fifth round. Carty started well and hurt Krolenko in the opener but then the fight settled into a pattern as the Irish southpaw tended to load up on his punches, which Krolenko seemingly absorbed quite well.

Carty upped his game in the fifth, though, as he caught Krolenko with a sharp left just as the Ukrainian was throwing, sending him down in a heap.

Carty piled in to force the finish, but after soaking up a few hard shots, Carty landed a three-punch combination that sent Krolenko over again. He rose on unsteady legs and referee Bob Williams waved it off at 1:12.

George Liddard did not take long to record his first win as a professional as the Essex middleweight knocked Nikola Matic down twice before the towel came in from the Bosnian’s corner 25 seconds into the second round.

Liddard, who is trained by Kevin Mitchell, started on the front foot and never gave Matic a moment’s peace, Matic eventually taking a knee with seconds remaining in the rounds.

He was soon down again as a big right uppercut sent him over in the opening moments of the second and while referee Williams wanted to pointlessly wave him back in for more punishment, Matic’s corner rightly pulled him out.]

Ron Lewis is a senior writer for BoxingScene. He was Boxing Correspondent for The Times, where he worked from 2001-2019 - covering four Olympic Games and numerous world title fights across the globe. He has written about boxing for a wide variety of publications worldwide since the 1980s.