Brisbane City Council has for now withdrawn its financial support for a rematch between Australian WBO welterweight world champion Jeff Horn and Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao.
The man who holds the purse strings, Lord Mayor Graham Quirk, has told News Corp Australia that he wants confirmation from promoters that Pacquiao has signed on for the fight before he commits to marketing the event.
"The Battle of Brisbane only happened with the strong financial support of Brisbane City Council," Cr Quirk said. "I need to know we definitely have a fighter coming from the Philippines to fight Brisbane's world champion Jeff Horn and I need to know that fighter is Manny Pacquiao.
"I'm not going to shadow box the fight promoters - I want some straight answers to the question of is Manny in the boxing ring in Brisbane in November or is he in retirement. We don't know at this time and I'm withdrawing any financial support until Manny fronts up and tells us his intentions."
It is believed the council spent over $1 million promoting the July fight where Horn won the world title.
Horn shocked Pacquiao with a twelve round unanimous decision last month at the SunCorp Stadium in Brisbane - where the rematch is being targeted for a tentative date of November 11.
After Pacquiao had lost there was confusion on whether or not Pacquiao would retire from the sport or exercise his rematch clause.
While Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, has stated on the record that his boxer is going forward with the rematch - the eight division world champion has yet to officially announced that he exercised his rematch clause or that he's fighting in November with Horn.
Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, would like to see his boxer retire or go forward with one final match - a showdown with Horn.