Heavyweight Nick Webb (13-1) returned to action on September 29 at Bracknell Leisure Centre with a second-round knockout of Welsh dangerman Dorian Darch (12-8-1), just six days after his 31st birthday.
Webb was hurting Darch, 34 from Aberdare, from the opening bell with heavy shots to the head and finished him off in the second segment with a left hook to the body.
The fight took place on a stacked Siesta Boxing event, titled ‘Bracknell Boxing Carnival’, and was the first step of a planned rebuild process following his sole career defeat to Dave Allen (13-4-2) at the O2 Arena last August, a journey he hopes will eventually lead to a rematch with his only pro conqueror.
Former national amateur finalist Webb saw his previously perfect record shattered by Allen when an overhand right landed flush on his temple in the third round of their British heavyweight title eliminator, live on Sky Sports Box Office. Webb had been comfortably winning the contest before the pivotal punch.
The Surrey star aims to squeeze in another two ‘learning’ fights this year before stepping back up to title contention again.
IN OTHER NEWS: Conrad Cummings may be building towards a run at the Commonwealth middleweight crown as he prepares to showcase his talent in Belfast on October 5.
‘Mr Dynamite’ produced a ruthless victory over the capable Nicky Jenman at Windsor Park last time out and now stars on the MTK Global bill at the Titanic Exhibition Centre – live on BoxNation – alongside gym-mate Steven Ward.
As he looks to record another convincing win in the wake of a WBO European points defeat to Luke Keeler, Cummings revealed he could opt for the Commonwealth route if and when opportunities present themselves.
Cummings said: “I feel if I fought Luke Keeler again, I’d beat him. I know I’ve said that before but one bad night will not define me and it’s onwards and upwards for me either way.
“I can smell the belts. They’re not too far away. If the Keeler rematch doesn’t come off then the belt I’d like to fight for first is the Commonwealth title.
“I never got to the go to the Commonwealth Games as an amateur because I turned professional just beforehand. I believe I’d have won gold at those Games and for that reason, I’d like to fight for the Commonwealth as a pro.
“I’m thankful MTK Global has got me out again so quickly. They’re keeping me busy and that was something I lacked earlier in my career. I won’t go looking for a knockout on October 5 but I’m all-action and keen to let a few bombs go.
“Myself and Stevie have been pushing each other on in this camp. He’s in a big 10-round fight and I’m looking to get back in the title mix, so you’ll see two good performances from ‘Mr Dynamite’ and ‘Boring Ward’!”
Joining the Jamie Moore-trained duo on a card headlined by Tyrone McCullagh’s WBO European clash with Josh Kennedy is Paddy Gallagher vs. Jay Byrne for the Celtic super-welterweight title, Marco McCllough vs. Ruddy Encarnacion, world-ranked Nathaniel May, Sean McComb, Steven Donnelly, Gary Cully, Padraig McCrory and more.