Five of Now Boxing Promotions’ standout prospects continued their rise to contender status this weekend, scoring knockout victories over their opponents in Louisville, Detroit and Mexicali.
Brandun Lee (8-0, 7KO) kicked off the weekend with a four round bout at welterweight, at the Derby Park Expo in Louisville, Kentucky. Lee’s hand was raised at the end of the night after a second round stoppage over the always-game Matthew Murphy of St. Louis. Lee punished his experienced opponent, who declined to leave his corner for the third round. The fight represented a step up in competition for Lee, who handled Murphy’s pressure with ease, and improved his record to 8-0, 7KO.
Also on Friday, Now prospects Brian Norman, Jr. (2-0, 2KO), Christian Camarena (3-0, 1KO) and Manuel Flores (5-0, 4KO) traveled South of the border to Mexicali, where all three fighters ended the night with stoppage wins.
Light Welterweight Brian Norman, Jr. shined in his second professional fight, catching Mexico’s Luis Osuna on the chin with a straight right hand one minute, thirty seconds into the first round, rendering Osuna unconscious before he hit the mat. Pasadena’s Christian Camarena faced Mexico’s Benjamin Hernandez in a bout that was scheduled for four rounds in the lightweight division. It would take Camarena less than two rounds to break his opponent down with body shots, stopping him in the second. Hard-hitting bantamweight Manuel Flores improved to 5-0, 4KO with a third round stoppage over Franklin Mendez. The bout was halted when Mendez, who had taken a lot of punches during the bout, hit the canvas, and the ref determined he was unable to continue, despite the fighter’s protestations.
Finally, on Saturday, Detroit’s Joseph Bonas (3-0, 3KO) made his long-awaited return to the ring, facing John Pitts in a four round bout at welterweight. The former Kronk devotee shined in front of his family and friends in Warren, Michigan, stopping Pitts at just 33 seconds into the first round with a three punch combination that ended with a head shot.
“We’re planning on continuing to keep these guys busy,” said boxing manager Cameron Dunkin. “We’re committed to getting them the ring experience they’ll need at the higher levels, and keeping them sharp. We’ve got a lot of talent in our stable, and they’re progressing just how we’d hoped.”
Now Boxing Promotions’ Mikael Zewski (30-1, 22KO) also returned to the ring February 15th, winning an eight-round unanimous decision over the tough Jose de Jesus Macias of Mexico. “We’d like to see Zewski fight for a Canadian National Title soon, and we’re looking for a big fight,” said Dunkin.
Following a sold-out, action-packed fight card this past January, Boston Boxing Promotions has announced that it will return with another world class professional boxing event at the Castleton Banquet and Conference Center in Windham, New Hampshire on Saturday April 28, 2018.
"The town of Windham was so supportive of our first venture into their community," said Boston Boxing Promotions President Peter Czymbor.
"Everyone from the residents to the elected officials to police and fire and local businesses in Windham were a joy to work with. In the weeks following the event, the most common question I'd get was when were we coming back. Now, I have an answer for them - Saturday, April 28th at the Castleton Banquet and Conference Center."
Fights will be announced in the coming weeks. Boston Boxing Promotions' first event in Windham last month featured a total of seven bouts, with four ending by knockout and three fights going the full distance to the judges' scorecards.
The fight promotion is currently looking for corporate sponsors for the event. Interested local business owners are invited to contact Boston Boxing Promotions via email at [email protected]. Sponsorship packages include blocks of ringside tickets.
Tickets for the April 28, 2018 Championship Boxing event in Windham, NH are on sale now at www.BoxingNH.com.
“Boxeo Telemundo Ford” 2018 spring season continues on March 2 with an exciting bout between David “Severo” Carmona and Jesus “Azul” Iribe for the vacant World Boxing Council Latin Bantamweight Title. On March 9, Telemundo returns to Mexico City for another all-Mexican bout, featuring Gilberto “Yaqui” Parra, who is ranked among the top ten in the world in his weight class, and Saúl “Baby” Juárez for the World Boxing Council Latin Light Flyweight Title.
The “Boxeo Telemundo Ford” season will be broadcast live on Telemundo at 11:35pm and live streamed on Telemundo Deportes En Vivo app and will be complemented with extensive news and content on TelemundoDeportes.com, including access to the weigh-in and exclusive behind the scenes content. “Boxeo Telemundo Ford,” the longest-running boxing program on U.S. Spanish-language television, debuted in 1989.
Since then it has showcased more than 50 world champions, including Erik Morales, Felix Tito Trinidad, Wilfredo Vazquez, Daniel Zaragoza, Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez, Oscar “Chololo” Larios and Israel “El Magnífico” Vazquez, earning a reputation as the show “where champions are born.”
“Boxeo Telemundo Ford” wrapped up 2017 with its highest fourth quarter ever among adults 18-49 with 227,000 and 480,000 total viewers, according to Nielsen.