As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, former WBO (World Boxing Organization) junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov could potentially return to the ring again with a bout by the end of this year.
Provodnikov's longtime manager, manager Vadim Kornilov, revealed the information to Tass.
"We have a proposal [to resume his boxing career] and this proposal is under consideration for a potential fight at the end of the year," Kornilov stated. "However, we are not ready yet to reveal the details about it."
Provodnikov was last seen in the ring on June 11, 2016, when he clearly lost a twelve round unanimous decision to John Molina.
After suffering that loss, Provodnikov admitted that he lost that inner-fire that motivated him in the ring.
The hard punching boxer held the WBO world title from 2013 to 2014 and has a career record of 25 wins (18 by KOs) and five defeats.
After walking away from the sport, Provodnikov, 36 years old, entered the world of politics and currently serves as a lawmaker with the parliament of the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area in western Siberia.
Kornilov would prefer to see Provodnikov remain in retirement, so he could continue his blossoming career as a politician. He says the former champ will make the final decision on the matter.
“I believe that Ruslan should not return,” Kornilov said. “He does a lot of significant things for the country, working in the political sphere, and he has great potential and prospects for the development of this area. Of course, Ruslan will make the final decision [on a comeback].”
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (12)