After an injury to IBF flyweight champion Sunny Edwards saw Saturday night’s bill scrapped, Louie Lynn turned out to be the main attraction as Friday night’s warm-up prospects show by Queensberry Promotions became the only show of the week at the Copper Box in East London, but he will have gone home a relieved man after winning a split technical decision against Amin Jahanzeb in their featherweight ten-rounder. 

The bout ended at the end of the ninth round, after a clash of heads had left Lynn with a two-inch gash over his right eye. But while that injury is likely to keep Lynn out of the ring for some time, at least he kept his unbeaten record, although it was very close. 

It was an interesting clash of styles. Lynn came forward throughout, buzzing forward and putting pressure on his opponent. Jahanzeb stood back, looking to pick him off and load up on punches. Most of the cleaner, eye-catching shots came from Jahanzeb, although he waited too long at times.  

One judge, Olena Pobyvailo, scored it 86-85 to Jahanzeb, but the other two judges, Ian John Lewis and Robin Dolpierre, gave it 86-85 and 87-84 respectively for Lynn. 

It was Jahanzeb who controlled the early rounds, picking Lynn off as he came forward. Lynn came back well in the third and fourth rounds, as he crowded Jahanzeb. But the Bradford boxer came back strongly in the fifth, rocking Lynn with a left hook. 

Again, Lynn came back in the sixth and seventh rounds, but Jahanzeb had a good eighth, hammering home with hooks and making Lynn bleed from the mouth. 

Lynn fired back in the ninth, though, landing a huge right hook early in the round as Jahanzeb hesitated. However, a clash of heads then left Lynn with a huge cut over his right eye. He continued until the end of the round, but the severity of the injury led to it being stopped at the end of the ninth. 

The win extended Lynn’s unbeaten record to ten fights and saw him retain the WBC international silver belt. 

There is a lot to like about tall lightweight southpaw Mark Chamberlain from Portsmouth, who moved to 9-0 as a pro when Benjamin Lamptey was pulled out after the fourth round, having been on the canvas twice. 

Chamberlain looked on course for a quick night when he dropped Lamptey with an excellent chopping left hand in the second round, the Ghanaian only just beating the count.  

He was down again at the end of the fourth round, when he took a knee after being hurt by a right-left to the body, and while the bell sounded as he rose, he never came out for the fifth round. 

Impressive light-heavyweight prospect Karol Itauma had to settle for a 40-36 points win over Daryl Sharp, who showed plenty of character to go the distance with eh former GB star. 

Joshua Frankham achieved his first stoppage win in his fourth professional bout as he beat Croatia’s Matija Petrinic in the second round. 

Frankham just overwhelmed Petrinic, knocking him down at the end of the first round and then forcing the stoppage as he went down again at 1:37 in the second. 

Local super-featherweight Frank Arnold wated no time as he stopped Lee Glover in the first round, finishing the job with two big southpaw lefts that dropped Glover to the floor. 

Adan Mohamed was also in a rush, producing an impressive two-fisted barrage to stop Luke Merryfield in the second of a super-bantamweight four-rounder. 

Lightweight Callum Thompson, from Liverpool, is now 2-0 after a 40-35 points win over Dean Jones. 

Also going to 2-0 was Umar Khan, who was a 40-36 points winner over Luke Fash in an uneventful super-bantamweight four-rounder. 

Khalid Ali, from London’s East End, made a successful debut as he stopped Dean Wilkinson after 1:26 of the fourth and final round at welterweight.