Kieron Conway boxed with plenty of patience as he dominated Macauley McGowan in their ten-round super-welterweight fight on the Joshu-Pulev undercard at Wembley, winning a wide unanimous points decision.

McGowan put everything into it, attacking throughout, but was totally outgunned. Conway was content to let him, often firing straight lefts and rights off the ropes, which usually found their target.

By the fourth round, Conway’s shots were already having an effect as McGowan was marked up and wincing when Conway landed to the body.

It was a sign that Conway believed McGowan was there for the taking that he finally went after him at the end of the seventh, pursuing him across the ring. At the start of the eighth a left hook dropped McGowan to the canvas, although it was to his immense credit that he battled on and didn’t fold, despite the fact that Conway was now loading up on his shots.

McGowan gained enough confidence to talk back to Conway in the ninth, but it was alla bout survival in the tenth, as Conway pushed for the stoppage, although McGowan never looked likely to crack.

It was a landslide with the judges, Phil Edwards scoring it 100-90, while Bob Williams and Steve Gray both had it 100-89. Marcus McDonnell was the referee

Florian Marku was fuming after his Matchroom debut against Jamie Stewart was scored a draw after eight rounds at welterweight.

The Albanian had looked on target for an early night after he dropped Stewart with a left hook to the body near the end of the second round.

But Marku seemed to run out of ideas in the middle rounds, as Stewart grew in confidence, although he finished well, knocking out Stewart’s gumshield with a right cross late in the final round.

Referee Marcus McDonnel scored it 76-76 to Marku’s obvious displeasure.

“Are you joking with me?” he said. “Does this judge know boxing or not. What is a draw? They are running my career.”

Stewart disagreed.

“He pressured me no doubt, but I think I outboxed him,” he said.

Qais Ashfaq came back from the first defeat of his career and produced his best performance to date as he pounded Ashley Lane to defeat in four rounds of the super-bantamweight eight-rounder show-opener.

Ashfaq, who lost to Marc Leach in October, looked transformed from the light-punching switch-hitting boxer that went to the Rio Olympics as he unloaded from the first bell and found Lane an easy target.

Near the end of the first round Ashfaq dropped Lane with a right hook and it was the same punch that floored Lane in the third.

In the fourth round, Ashfaq caught Lane early and unloaded with Lane trapped on the ropes until Marcus McDonnell stopped the fight, despite Lane’s protests, at 0:40 of the round.

“If I am as good as I believe I am I’m good enough to get to the top,” Ashfaq said.