Joet Gonzalez engaged in another action-packed fight Friday night.

Four-and-a-half months after his one-sided defeat to Emanuel Navarrete, though, the featherweight contender stopped a game Jeo Santisima in the ninth round of a scheduled 10-round bout in Fresno, California. Santisima showed a lot of toughness and was mostly competitive, but referee Edward Collantes halted the action after Gonzalez landed a right hand 2:05 into the ninth round on the Jose Ramirez-Jose Pedraza undercard at Save Mart Center.

Collantes warned Santisima before the ninth round that he’d halt the action if he didn’t like what he saw following a lopsided eighth round.

Gonzalez, of Glendora, California, improved to 25-2 and recorded his 15th knockout. Santisima (21-4, 18 KOs), of Masbate City, Philippines, lost inside the distance for the second time in eight years as a pro.

Gonzalez drilled Santisima with an overhand right that connected with just over 1:15 to go in the eighth round. Later in the eighth round, Gonzalez brutalized Santisima with head and body shots that made a ringside physician examine Santisima once it ended.

Collantes told Santisima that he would stop the fight if he endured another one-sided round that resembled the eighth.

Gonzalez landed a left uppercut up top, then a left hook to the body and then another left uppercut to Santisima’s head just after the halfway mark of the seventh round. He cracked Santisima with another left hook to the head with just over 20 seconds on the clock in the seventh round.

Santisima and Gonzalez engaged in an entertaining exchange just after the midway point of the sixth round. A right hand by Gonzalez made Santisima move across the ring with approximately 20 seconds to go in the sixth round

Gonzalez got good extension on a right hand that landed exactly at the halfway point of the fifth round. Santisima and Gonzalez stood their ground and traded punches over the final 25 seconds of the fifth round.

Santisima backed Gonzalez into the ropes and hammered away at him just before the halfway point of the fourth round. Gonzalez wasn’t hurt during that sequence, though, and became the aggressor later in the fourth round.

Gonzalez drilled Santisima with a straight right with just over 1:15 to go in the third round.

Santisima snuck a right hand to the body around Gonzalez’s guard 1:15 into the first round. Santisima later landed a left and then a right to Gonzalez’s body later in the opening round.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.