Fast-rising upstart phenom Jesus Ramos Jr. keeps proving that key slots on PBC pay-per-view undercards will be his home for the time being until he’s ready and presented with his own breakout opportunity.
Ramos (20-0, 16 KOs) will return to the ring to face Erickson Lubin (25-2, 18 KOs) in a 12-round super welterweight scrap on Sept. 30, and the fight will serve as the co-featured bout on the card headlined by Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermell Charlo at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Showtime PPV.
Ramos was actually supposed to be featured against Sergio Garcia on the PPV card headlined by Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr. on July 29, but the 22-year-old Arizona native was forced to pull out due to a left-hand injury.
Ramos has since recovered, and he says he’s now ready to take on the toughest test of his five-year career.
“I was excited when I heard I was gonna fight Lubin. I respect what he’s done as a fighter. He built himself back up after the Jermell Charlo [first-round knockout loss in 2017] and showed he’s a warrior,” Ramos said during a press conference in Los Angeles.
“This is what I’m here for. I’m here to prove I’m one of the best and to do that I have to beat the best. It was an exciting moment when I was able to sign on for this fight.”
In his three previous PPV telecast showcases dating back to last year, Ramos has scored wins against the likes of Joey Spencer (David Benavidez-Caleb Plant card), Luke Santamaria (Gervonta Davis-Rolando Romero card) and Vladimir Hernandez (Keith Thurman-Mario Barrios card).
Prior to that, Ramos scored a unanimous decision against Brian Mendoza in Sept. 2021, a win that has since aged well considering Mendoza’s revival and respective victories against Sebastian Fundora and Jeison Rosario.
“People didn’t really know what level I was on before the Joey Spencer fight. I had to show that I was on a different level and that I deserve to be on a stage like this,” said Ramos.
“Hopefully with a win [against Lubin] people will say I’m at the top of the division. That’s not up to me though. I just have to keep winning and proving myself. The main thing is to keep growing as a fighter. I’m gonna take a lot from this fight and have a lot more experience. I’m gonna be a different boxer after this and I’ll be ready for that title shot when it comes.
“I have good power, but I’m not relying on it. I have skills too and I’m gonna show them on September 30. I’m an intelligent fighter and everyone is gonna see that with a worthy opponent like Lubin across from me.
“I’ve faced tough guys like Brian Mendoza and Vladimir Hernandez, but Lubin looks like he’d be the toughest so far. [Lubin is] right up there because he’s got a lot of experience and we respect what he can do.”
The 27-year-old Lubin is a 10-year pro whose only losses have come to Fundora in a fight-of-the-year contender in 2022 and Charlo in 2017.
Lubin bounced back after the Fundora loss with a win against Luis Arias in June, and he’s also previously beaten the likes of Jeison Rosario, Terrell Gausha, Nathaniel Gallimore, Ishe Smith, and Jorge Cota,
“I do feel like I’m the fresher fighter, but it’s not something I’m banking on. We’re working hard to be at my very best. He’s been in some wars, so we’ll see if he’s got wear and tear from it,” said Ramos.
“Whatever I have to do to win, I’m ready for. I’m here to dominate. I want to make a statement, and in order to do that, I have to dominate. That’s the plan.”
Manouk Akopyan is a sports journalist, writer, and broadcast reporter. He’s also a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and the MMA Journalists Association. He can be reached on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube at @ManoukAkopyan, through email at manouk[dot]akopyan[at]gmail.com, or via www.ManoukAkopyan.com.