On Saturday night Miguel Berchelt (38-1) and Oscar Valdez (28-0) will finally meet in the ring. The two all-action fighters will clash in an ESPN main event that will broadcast live from inside of ‘The Bubble’ at the MGM Grand Garden Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
The all Mexican showdown was originally scheduled to take place on December 12th. It had to be postponed when Berchelt contracted COVID-19.
Berchelt will be defending his WBC super featherweight title for the 7th time. Valdez, who previously held the WBO featherweight title, is looking to become a two-division champion.
The oddsmakers have placed Berchelt, the naturally bigger fighter, as a significant favorite in the bout. Former two-division champion Jessie Vargas believes those odds can be thrown out the window when you have two Mexican warriors meet in the ring.
“That’s a great fight. That’s going to be a war from the beginning to the end. There’s no other way for it to go,” Vargas told BoxingScene.com.
When pressed to pick a winner, Vargas said that it could go either way and that the fans tuning in will truly be the ones who come out with a victory.
“I know them both personally and it will be a war. I know they both will it give it everything they have. It truly is a 50-50 fight that could either way, Vargas explained.
As for what is next for Vargas, who has kept himself busy as a Spanish analyst for DAZN events, he said that he expects an announcement in the near future.
He last fought a year ago when he dropped a unanimous decision to Mikey Garcia in a welterweight fight. His next fight will take place at the 154 pound super welterweight limit.
Send questions or comments to email@example.com. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter