Jermall Charlo is out on bond after responding to an arrest warrant on felony robbery charges from an alleged incident earlier this summer in San Antonio.
The unbeaten two-division and reigning WBC middleweight titlist turned himself in to Bexar County authorities Wednesday morning, after learning of an outstanding warrant that was generated on August 7. Charlo was booked on three charges of second-degree felony robbery, all stemming from a complaint filed July 16 at Privat Martini Bar & Social Club in San Antonio. The Houston native was released shortly after booking upon posting a $5,000 surety bond for each charge.
Charlo was in town in support of his twin brother, lineal/WBC/WBA/IBF junior middleweight champion who faced WBO titlist Brian Castano in an undisputed championship showdown that weekend at AT&T Center. The event was presented by Premier Boxing Champions (PBC), the conglomerate that represents both boxers and who acknowledged the incident in question.
“This is a legal matter,” Tim Smith, vice president of communications for PBC—and 2019 BWAA Marvin Kohn Good Guy Award recipient—noted to BoxingScene.com. “We don’t comment on legal matters.”
According to the filed incident report—a copy of which BoxingScene.com has obtained—Charlo allegedly stole cash from a guest check portfolio and accused a waiter of trying to steal his debit card, while retrieving his driver’s license from another portfolio. The report suggests that a member of Charlo’s party injured a waitress upon exiting the establishment, although there already appears to be conflicts regarding both the sequence of events and the extent of the incident in question.
“I want to make clear that Jermall stole no money from anyone at the club and made no threats toward anyone,” Kent A. Schaffer, Charlo’s attorney told TMZ Sports after catching wind of the publication’s sensationalized news report of the matter in question. “When (the club) ran his card, it was declined and he then received a fraud alert from Chase Bank asking if he had made the charge. He responded yes and they told him to have the charge submitted again.
“The waitress went to run it again and came back saying she could not find the card. Jermall was upset that his card was missing since it was a debit card tied to an account with a substantial amount of money.”
Where the two sides agree is the manner upon which Charlo retrieved his license. The boxer was understandably distraught over the establishment not being able to locate his debit card, at which point he saw his license sticking out from a check presenter at which he took it back as “he didn’t want her to lose that, too” according to his attorney.
Police responded to a call from the establishment at roughly 2:00 a.m., according to the report. It was believed by officials detailed to the case that there existed enough evidence to proceed with the case, with arrest warrants executed August 7, according to Bexar County court records which show the case is currently awaiting indictment.
Court records also show that Charlo has been issued a no-contact order with the alleged victim(s).
It is believed by his legal team that the matter will be resolved without criminal charges filed, although the development comes after an alleged understanding that charges would not be filed.
Charlo (32-0, 22KOs) last fought on June 19, earning a twelve-round, unanimous decision win over Mexico’s Juan Macias Montiel at Toyota Center in the defending titlist’s Houston hometown. The feat marked the fourth successful middleweight title defense for Charlo since his reign was upgraded from “interim” to “World” champion in June 2019.
Jake Donovan is a senior writer for BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox