by Shaun Brown
Contrary to speculation no date has been agreed for WBO super welterweight champion Jaime Munguia to defend his title against former holder Liam Smith in July.
Boxing Scene spoke to Smith's promoter Frank Warren today (May 21) to address the rumours that his man would travel to America to face the new champion on July 21 or 28.
"We have not had any discussion about that," said Warren on the back of a successful world title promotion in Leeds on Saturday night.
"I spoke to [Golden Boy Promotions president] Eric Gomez last week and he said he was going to meet up with his fighter over the weekend and then we were going to talk this week.
Munguia (29-0, 25 KOs), originally touted as an opponent for middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin on May 5, ripped the title away from Sadam Ali in impressive fashion on May 12.
Golovkin's handlers had targeted Munguia after Canelo Alvarez was hit with a six month suspension due to a pair of failed drug tests. But the Nevada State Athletic Commission rejected the idea of Munguia, who had no world level experience, to move up in weight to face someone like Golovkin on short notice.
Smith (26-1-1, 14 KOs) was scheduled to fight Ali on that date but was withdrawn due to a severe allergic reaction.
After Smith fell out of the fight, Ali's handlers closed a deal to fight Munguia.
“There's nothing been done. All it is, is that the WBO have put out we've got 30 days to come to a mutual agreement otherwise we go to purse bids.”
The 29-year-old number one contender is now waiting on a new date to challenge for his old title which he won in October 2015 against John Thompson before losing in his second defence, one that came against Canelo nearly a year later at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington.