Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Jacobs-Derevyanchenko IBF Purse Bid Postponed Until July 10

By Keith Idec

The IBF informed BoxingScene.com on Wednesday night that the purse bid for its mandated middleweight title bout between Sergiy Derevyanchenko and Daniel Jacobs has been postponed until July 10.

Their purse bid had been scheduled for noon Thursday at the IBF’s headquarters in Springfield, New Jersey. The postponement affords promoters Lou DiBella (Derevyanchenko) and Eddie Hearn (Jacobs) five additional days to reach an agreement for their 160-pound championship match without a purse bid being necessary.

Ukraine’s Derevyanchenko (12-0, 10 KOs) is the IBF’s No. 1 middleweight contender. Brooklyn’s Jacobs (34-2, 29 KOs) is rated No. 3 among the IBF’s 160-pound contenders, but he is the next available contender to fight Derevyanchenko for the vacant IBF crown because the No. 2 position in its rankings is unoccupied.

derevyanchenko-jacobs

Both boxers are trained by Andre Rozier, but Keith Connolly, who manages Derevyanchenko and Jacobs, told BoxingScene.com last month that they’re still willing to fight each other. Derevyanchenko, 32, and Jacobs, 31, have sparred against each other numerous times.

Assuming DiBella and Hearn can come to an agreement, Derevyanchenko and Jacobs will fight for the middleweight title the IBF stripped from Gennady Golovkin on June 6.

The IBF took its middleweight crown from Golovkin because the sanctioning organization determined Golovkin didn’t adhere to the stipulations of an exemption it granted him to fight Vanes Martirosyan on May 5 in Carson, California. The IBF didn’t sanction Golovkin-Martirosyan as a title bout, but allowed Golovkin to fight Martirosyan, who lost by second-round knockout, and keep its middleweight title as long as Golovkin agreed to defend it next against Derevyanchenko, his mandatory challenger.

Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) requested another exemption at an IBF hearing May 22 in Newark, New Jersey, so that he could face Canelo Alvarez in a rematch September 15 in Las Vegas. Their rematch was first scheduled for May 5 in Las Vegas, but that fight was canceled because the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) for twice testing positive for clenbuterol, a banned substance, in February.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Mammoth on 07-07-2018

Rumor of October 27th, MSG theater

Comment by Santa_ on 07-06-2018

I got D-Chenko taking this one.

Comment by Ajvar on 07-06-2018

[QUOTE=yankees7448;18917431]Exactly. The guy keeps saying he was stripped for fighting Vanes. He wasn't. He was stripped for making it clear that he was trying to make another fight instead of the mandatory fight.[/QUOTE] More like for "trying to make 2…

Comment by yankees7448 on 07-05-2018

[QUOTE=factsarenice;18916170]It's not complicated, unknown Derev with no build up for 1 or skip him for 25 million. Mathematics.[/QUOTE] And against the more accomplished opponent as well.

Comment by yankees7448 on 07-05-2018

[QUOTE=Ajvar;18915733]IBF specifically told that it [U]won't count Vanes fight as defence of IBF belt[/U]. But they will let it go as long as fight against Derev happens in less than 3 months.[/QUOTE] Exactly. The guy keeps saying he was stripped…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (53)
Top Headlines Ngabu vs. Merhy in Play For EBU Strap After Jur KO Loss Joshua vs. Povetkin: The Joys of Disappointment Abel Sanchez Not Surprised Canelo Withstood Golovkin's Power Mikey Garcia: My Main Target, Focus and No. 1 Goal is Spence! Adonis Stevenson vs. Oleksandr Gvozdyk Card Coming Together Pacquiao Says No Tune-Up Needed, Mayweather May Have One Miguel Roman: Miguel Berchelt Will Not Withstand My Pace Yuriorkis Gamboa, Juan Manuel Lopez Doubleheader on 11/10 Sergio Martinez Discusses Unbeaten Prospect Jon Fernandez Photos: Luke Campbell, Yvan Mendy, Okolie, Askin - Workouts Photos: David Price, Sergey Kuzmin - Open Workouts Photos: Anthony Joshua, Alexander Povetkin - Putting in Work Fury on Wilder: Klitschko Hit Really Hard Too, It Didn't Affect Me! Arum Amused: I'd Be Conflicted If De La Hoya Ran Against Trump Froch: Joshua Needs to Entertain, Show Fighting Spirit Again Joshua-Povetkin: A Look at Heavyweight Olympic Champions UK News: McCullagh-Kennedy, Edwards-Farrag, Gallagher-Byrne Savannah Marshall Added To Fury vs. Pulev Card Amir Khan: Did You See The Size of Canelo When He Fought Me?! Gallagher Expects Smith To Peak, Shine Against George Groves Chocolatito's Options To Be Evaluated, Yafai Not Ruled Out Lemieux: Golovkin is Not The Same, Rematch Would Be Different Arum: Lomachenko Wants Mikey Garcia Fight Right After Pedraza Frank Warren: I Had Golovkin Beating Canelo By Three Rounds Anthony Joshua Won't Chase a KO: I've Got To Be Clever Now Kevin Johnson Feels Experience Edge May Down Daniel Dubois Hearn: I'm Quite Worried, Povetkin is Tough Fight For Joshua David Benavidez Makes No Excuses, Apologizes For Failed Test Golovkin's Coach: Canelo Vindicated Himself For Positive Tests Energy Execs Glove Up To Knock Out Child Sexual Abuse Frank Warren: Frampton-Warrington is Not Two Recycled Guys DAZN, The New Kid On The Block, Ready For Boxing Kickoff Canelo's Possible Return: December 15 Reserved at MSG, MGM Nacho: Canelo Did Great, But I Think Golovkin Won WBC Prez: Canelo Deserved The Win in Golovkin Rematch David Benavidez Comes Up Positive For Cocaine in VADA Test Wilder vs. Fury Promotional Tour is Ready, Reveals Frank Warren Pacquiao: Me and Mayweather Have Unfinished Business! Encarnacion, Michael Rivera, Starling Castillo Ink With Sampson Photos: Jacobs, Andrade, Haney Training Hard at SNAC Facility
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement