Advertisement: IBO Boxing
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com
Advertisement

Haney Has Petitioned WBC To Have Fortuna Fight Him, Not Campbell

Devin Haney hopes it won’t be necessary to wait for Javier Fortuna to face Luke Campbell before he gets a shot to fight for the WBC lightweight title again.

 

The WBC ordered a Fortuna-Campbell clash while Haney recovered from shoulder surgery Haney underwent in December.

The Dominican Republic’s Fortuna, the WBC’s number one lightweight contender, and England’s Campbell, its second-ranked challenger, were supposed to fight for the vacant WBC lightweight title April 17 at MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. That fight was postponed indefinitely due to the coronavirus crisis.

devin-haney (8)_7

The 21-year-old Haney previously was named the WBC’s lightweight champion in recess because his rehabilitation from surgery prevented him from making a mandated defense of that 135-pound championship versus Fortuna.

Now that the COVID-19 pandemic has halted all boxing business, Haney has petitioned the WBC to allow him to fight Fortuna next for its lightweight crown once bouts can be scheduled. Haney (24-0, 15 KOs) stated during SiriusXM’s “Ak And Barak Show” on Friday that he expects the WBC to rule on his request within approximately a week.

“As of now, I’m looking to defend my title against my mandatory challenger, Javier Fortuna,” Haney said. “You know, because he’s the mandatory, somebody I’m gonna have to fight. And then, after that, I wanna move on to the big fights. But as of now, the main person I’m looking at is Javier Fortuna.”

Vasiliy Lomachenko beat Campbell by unanimous decision to win the then-vacant WBC lightweight title August 31 at O2 Arena in London.

Haney stopped Russia’s Zaur Abdullaev (11-1, 7 KOs) after the fourth round September 13 at Madison Square Garden’s Hulu Theater to win the WBC’s interim lightweight championship. The WBC eventually elevated Ukraine’s Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs) to franchise champion and installed Haney as its world lightweight champ.

In his first title defense, Las Vegas’ Haney beat the Dominican Republic’s Alfredo Santiago (12-1, 4 KOs) by unanimous decision in a 12-rounder November 9 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Haney had surgery to repair his right shoulder the following month.

The WBC later ordered Fortuna (35-2-1, 24 KOs, 1 NC) and Campbell (20-3, 16 KOs) to box for a vacant version of its 135-pound crown.

“I wouldn’t have been able to fight in time to defend my title because of the injury,” said Haney, who expects to box by July, if fights can happen by then. “So, they made me the champion in recess, that whenever I came back, whenever I was fully healed and recovered, I would face the mandatory challenger. And since all this has happened, and the COVID-19 has happened, the two mandatories weren’t able to fight each other. So, that’s why I’m petitioning to the WBC as of now to just let me fight Javier Fortuna for the world title. And we’ll know in about a week or so what their decision is. But it’s looking like I’ll be fighting Javier Fortuna.” 

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.

User Comments and Feedback
Comment by Bronx2245 on 04-07-2020

I hope the WBC does not screw this up! Haney vs. Fortuna makes perfect sense! I'd like to see Campbell vs. Commey!

Comment by EDDIE SPERM on 04-07-2020

Afraid Campbell soup lasted 12 rounds w/ the great Lomachenko & doesn't want the smoke! Ryan Garcia would school that blasphemous 5h1tbag!

Comment by Dasmius Shinobi on 04-07-2020

I agree with Devin Haney here, this is the most respectable option. :boxing:

Comment by Adamsc151 on 04-07-2020

If local isolation restrictions are lifted months before international ones then this makes sense. Provided there's no rematch clause and Cambell gets 1st crack at the winner

Comment by Corelone on 04-06-2020

I don't mind Haney's request, seeing how the virus has everybody on hold. By the time this is over, everybody will have some ring rust. Campbell can get another shot, but how mediocre does a champ have to be in…

ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (20)
Advertisement
Top Headlines
Luis Ortiz: I Just Need a Name and Date - I'll Even Go Against Mike Tyson! May 30 Show in Santo Domingo Canceled By D.R. Government Jessie Vargas: Liam Smith Fight is One I Am Definitely Interested In Omar Rosario, P.R. Olympic Hopeful To Turn Pro, Signs With VanNewhouse Erik Morales Fires Back at Juan Manuel Marquez: You Didn't Want To Fight! Showtime Reveals June Schedule of Classic Fights Whyte-Povetkin, Taylor-Serrano on August 8 or 15, Fight Camp PPV Ramirez: We Might See Better Hooker Against Prograis Than When He Faced Me Porter: I Don't Know If Crawford Fight Makes Sense Right Now Saunders: I'm Very Confident I Would Stop Andrade Because Of His Style Fury Co-Trainer Andy Lee: Wilder Needs To Be More Aggressive In Trilogy IBF: As Of Now, Joseph Diaz Scheduled To Make Mandatory vs. Rakhimov Frank Warren Backs Charlie Edwards To Win Another World Title Mayweather Signs On For Celebrity Boxing Event - Will Not Fight Davison: You Have To Admire The Self-Belief of Deontay Wilder Joe Joyce's Manager Warns Whyte: Ngannou Can Box at a High Level! Not Pound for Pound...Champ for Champ 2020, Pt. 3 Abner Mares Splits With Garcia, Training For Comeback With Robles John Jackson Attempting To Get Out of Jail Due To COVID-19 Fear Wanderlei Silva: Mike Tyson Fight Would Do Big Business on PPV Hearn: There Is No DAZN Situation; Meeting Friday To Discuss Upcoming Schedule Top Rank Safety Protocol Clears Path For Boxing To Return To U.S. Jose Ramirez Preparing For Mid-July Return vs. Viktor Postol Josh Taylor Expects Mandatory, Would Rather Bypass For Big Fight Top Rank’s Vegas Shows To Have 5 Fights, All With No Media Nevada Commission Approves Top Rank Dates For June 9 & June 11 In Las Vegas Carlos Molina vs. Michi Munoz Now Pushed Back To June 6 Joshua-Pulev: Hearn Reveals Small Crowd Plan For Fall Event Josh Warrington Warns 'Gobshite' Shakur Stevenson: I Won't Wait! Javier Fortuna Extends Promotional Pact With Sampson Boxing Haney Hasn't Talked With Mayweather About Training Him Full-Time Holyfield: I Wanted To Bite Tyson Back, But They Always Catch The Second Person Fury: I Wouldn't Pay Wilder 10 Grand To Step Aside; Would Rather Give Him Good Hiding Again Roney Hines Vows To Be Patient For Big Fights, Not Looking To Rush Lee Eaton: Good, Competitive Fights Must Happen When Boxing Returns Roy Jones Says He's Willing To Fight Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield Groves Still Disagrees: I Never, Ever Needed Saving in First Froch Fight! Whyte vs. Ngannou: Hearn Says Really Good Chance It Could Happen Joseph Diaz's Plans: Beat Farmer Again, Then 'Huge' Fight With Mares Vitor Belfort on Training With Mike Tyson: Takes a lot of Courage To Return at 53
Advertisement
Advertisement
Latest Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement