Devin Haney didn’t hold back when he spoke as part of a live YouTube chat about boxing Vasiliy Lomachenko.
“I can tell you this – I will never lose to a white boy in my life,” Haney said during an hour-long chat Wednesday on the 78SPORTSTV’s YouTube channel. “I don’t care what nobody got to say. Listen, can’t no white boy beat me, I don’t care, on any day of the week. I fight a white boy like 10 times, I’m gonna beat him 10 times.”
Las Vegas’ Haney is black. Ukraine’s Lomachenko is white.
Haney’s response was given to a comment made by someone identified as MehariNation Sports Podcast.
The comment read, “Salute to 78, Devin & Bill Haney. I hope you’ll end the hype of Loma so I can rip BFFTV all day long. Keep grinding Devin, greatness is coming from you.”
Haney (24-0, 15 KOs), the WBC’s lightweight champion in recess, and Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs), the WBC’s franchise lightweight champion, talked trash to one another recently on Instagram. Lomachenko later explained that he replied to Haney because Haney said he would knock out the three-division champion if they fought.
The 32-year-old Lomachenko likely will fight another young, undefeated lightweight once the coronavirus crisis ends. Contracts hadn’t been signed, but Lomachenko, the WBA/WBO lightweight champ, and newly crowned IBF lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez (15-0, 12 KOs) appeared headed for a 12-round title unification match May 30 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Lomachenko and Lopez both expect for their 135-pound title fight to be scheduled for some point in the fall.
The 21-year-old Haney, meanwhile, likely will fight the Dominican Republic’s Javier Fortuna in his next bout.
Fortuna (35-2-1, 24 KOs, 1 NC), the WBC’s number one-ranked lightweight, and England’s Luke Campbell (20-3, 16 KOs), who’s ranked second by the WBC, were supposed to fight Friday night for the vacant WBC lightweight title. That card, which was supposed to take place at MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland, was postponed indefinitely when the COVID-19 pandemic began last month.
Haney has since petitioned the WBC to fight Fortuna next for the title Haney had to relinquish because shoulder surgery in December prevented Haney from making a mandated defense against Fortuna. A healthier Haney should be able to face Fortuna once boxing cards can be scheduled again.
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.