Devin Haney is completely confident he’ll beat George Kambosos Jr. just as soundly in their rematch as he did during their first fight.
If Haney remains in the lightweight division, he’ll have to box Kambosos next because he agreed to an immediate rematch in Australia when he signed a multi-fight agreement with Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc. and DiBella Entertainment late in March to secure his shot at full unification. Kambosos made it clear in the immediate aftermath of his unanimous points loss to Haney on June 5 in Melbourne that he would exercise his contractual right to an immediate rematch.
Haney has no reservations about flying halfway around the world again to box Kambosos in the former champion’s home country.
“At the end of the day, you know, I just feel like I did it once, I can do it again,” Haney told BoxingScene.com. “We know what to expect. We shared the ring with him. We know what he brings to the table. Even though he will try to make adjustments, there’s nothing that he can do to surprise us because he threw everything he could at us the first fight, and we’re ready for whatever in the second one.”
Haney, an Oakland native, also mentioned that “it’s a possibility” he’ll relinquish his four lightweight titles and move up to the junior welterweight limit of 140 pounds for his next bout.
If not, Sydney’s Kambosos believes he can make adjustments during training camp that’ll help him regain his IBF, WBA and WBO belts from Haney (28-0, 15 KOs), who owned the WBC world lightweight title before he conquered Kambosos. The intelligent, skillful Haney simply can’t envision that happening, not after the taller, rangier champion’s well-designed game plan essentially worked to perfection en route to winning 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112 on the scorecards earlier this month at Marvel Stadium.
“Honestly, whatever he does, I’ll be ready for,” Haney said. “We prepared well for him. It doesn’t matter. Whatever he brings to the table, we’re gonna be a hundred-percent ready for. If he wants to change, it is what it is.”
The 23-year-old Haney, of Henderson, Nevada, wasn’t surprised by the ease with which he out-boxed Kambosos (20-1, 10 KOs). That is exactly how he expected their 12-round fight to unfold.
“We knew if I followed the game plan we could handicap him of his best attributes,” Haney said, “and that’s what I did.”
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.