US Olympian Ginny Fuchs made it 2-0 as a pro with a six-round shutout against Gemma Ruegg at super-flyweight on the Shields-Marshall undercard in London.

Fuchs was too fast for Ruegg, who was brave but never really knocked the American out of her stride.

Fuchs was happy to pick off Ruegg with her southpaw jab in the first round, but the British boxer became a little more acclimatized in the second and was able to stand and trade with the American.

She had nothing that could match Fuchs’s accuracy, though, as the American was able to lead off with either hand and invariably land. And when Ruegg missed, she was punished.

Things got very one-sided from the fourth round onwards, as Fuchs shortened her punches and landed at will.

Referee Mark Bates scored it 60-54.

April Hunter came out on top after a wild six-round tear-up with Argentina’s Erica Alvarez at super-welterweight, as Hunter tended to ignore her boxing to just slug it out.

Hunter was cut over the left eye in a messy first round, but generally got on the front foot as Alvarez ducked low and winged in wild right-hand punches.

In the third, Hunter began to take complete control and she landed hard rights that left Alvarez looking ragged. But, while Alvarez threw right hands exclusively, Hunter seemed content to just stand and trade, which made it more exciting than it might have been.

Referee McAvoy scored it 60-54.

Georgia O’Connor was another unbeaten boxer to win, earning a four-round decision over Belgium’s Joyce Van Ee. O’Connor was on top in a routine opening two rounds but did go through the gears in an attempt to force a stoppage but Van Ee stuck with her, despite losing a 40-36 decision from referee Sean McAvoy.

In the show-opener, 20-year-old German super-bantamweight Sarah Liegmann extended her unbeaten record to six fights at the expense of Bec Connolly.

Determination has never been an issue for Connolly, but slipping punches tends to be. So, while she came forward throughout, she tended to be caught on the way in, playing into the hands of Liegmann, who stayed on the outside in the main.

The action picked up in the last round as Liegmann stepped closer and took some risks, Connolly finishing with swelling around her left eye.

Referee McAvoy scored it 59-55.

Super flyweight Shannon Ryan recorded her third win as a pro and her third 40-36 decision, as she beat Buchra El Quaissi, of Spain.

Ryan started fast, landing a series of hard hooks on her wide-open opponent in the opening round. She had plenty of success in the second too, but tended to give El Quaissi time to recover between attacks when, if she had kept the pressure on, she might have forced a stoppage. 

El Quaissi was blowing hard but fighting back in the third round and in the last, Ryan loaded up in the final round and landed well, one right near the end of the round turning El Quaissi around, although an early finish never seemed likely. Bates was the referee.

Ron Lewis is a senior writer for BoxingScene. He was Boxing Correspondent for The Times, where he worked from 2001-2019 - covering four Olympic Games and numerous world title fights across the globe. He has written about boxing for a wide variety of publications worldwide since the 1980s.