Frank Warren, promoter for undefeated heavyweight Tyson Fury, says his boxer is without question going to face WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in a rematch.
Fury and Wilder collided last month at Stales Center in Los Angeles.
The contest ended in a controversial twelve round split draw. Fury went down twice in the contest, including a vicious knockdown in the twelfth where for a few seconds the contest appeared to be all but over.
Warren is hoping to finalize a rematch deal in the very near future.
There is no indication on where the second fight will take place, but Las Vegas is rumored to be a frontrunner for the contest.
Warren will not give any hints regarding the location or the terms being negotiated for the rematch.
“We’re negotiating and I hope by the end of this week we’ll be in a position to announce something one way or another, fingers crossed,” Warren told Boxing News.
“It’s just the usual stuff [in terms of the negotiations]. I won’t negotiate it through the press, we’re not doing a [Eddie] Hearn job. We’re working hard, both sides, to try and make it happen. We want it, it’s just a matter of getting it over the line so that’s what we’re working on,” the promoter said.
Eddie Hearn, who promotes IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO champion Anthony Joshua, says he presented Fury with an offer to face his boxer on April 13 at Wembley Stadium in London.
Warren blew off that idea, explaining that a rematch with Wilder will bring his fighter a lot more money and a lot more exposure - with the aspect of Showtime Pay-Per-View being involved.
“It’s more meaningful fight and it’s a bigger money fight [than Joshua],” he said. “Of course it is, you’ve got American pay-per-view. What are you going to get for Joshua and Tyson? There’s far more money for that [Wilder] fight, it’s much more meaningful. Tyson and Wilder’s last fight generated more income than [Alexander] Povetkin and Joshua,” Warren explained.