Tyson Fury wouldn’t commit to picking a winner in a proposed all-British heavyweight showdown between Daniel Dubois and Dillian Whyte.
The reigning lineal/WBC heavyweight champion does view it as a terrific crossroads bout that his recent in-ring rival should strongly consider.
“If I’m Dillian Whyte, I’m excited to take that fight,” Fury said during an in-house interview that was recently posted on promoter Queensberry Promotions’ YouTube channel. “You’re coming off a loss to the best fighter that’s ever lived. You’ve got to redeem yourself. What better way to do it than against a younger guy, a world champion and everyone’s going to watch it.”
Whyte 28-3 (19KOs) has not fought since a sixth-round knockout loss to Fury (32-0-1, 23KOs) this past April 23 at Wembley Stadium in London. Neither fighter has since offered any real indication of what’s next in their respective careers. Fury claims to be retired but still holds his championship status and has also teased the possibility of returning to the ring later this year in some capacity.
As for Whyte, one opportunity lies ahead if the Brixton-based contender is keen for the cause.
“It’s a great fight and I definitely expect Dillian Whyte to take it and Daniel Dubois to take it. It’s a great fight for British boxing, I for one would buy a pay-per-view to watch it for sure.”
The fight was first spoken into existence by Dubois (18-1, 17KOs) following his one-sided, fourth-round knockout of previously unbeaten Trevor Bryan on June 11 in Miami, Florida. A secondary version of the WBA heavyweight title was at stake, making its way back to Greenwich, London with Dubois who now sets his sights on the upper echelon of the division.
Fury remains uncertain of his own future, while WBA “Super”/IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight titlist Oleksandr Usyk (19-0, 13KOs) awaits a fight date for a rematch with England’s Anthony Joshua (24-2, 22KOs). Rather than go idle while waiting on a title shot that might not come anytime soon, Dubois is prepared to face the best of the rest in the division. At the top of his list is Whyte, the first name he mentioned along with a list of other contenders and former titlists in his sights.
It would also represent a step-up in class.
Dubois has now scored three straight knockouts since a tenth-round knockout loss to Joe Joyce in their November 2020 battle of unbeaten heavyweights. Joyce is the WBO mandatory challenger and aiming for the winner of the Usyk-Joshua rematch, while tentatively targeting a July 2 stay-busy fight. Dubois punched himself back into contention thanks to a strong showing versus Bryan but remains the less proven of the two in a pairing with Whyte.
“To be honest with you, Dillian Whyte’s very experienced,” noted Fury. “When he was in there with me, I made it look like he couldn’t fight. But do not underestimate Dillian Whyte. When you get two big dinosaurs who’ll knock the lumps off each other the way they would, someone’s going to get knocked out. That’s an exciting fight.”
The sentiment is shared by the Hall of Fame promoter who guides the careers of both Fury and Dubois.
“It’s a good fight. It is a good fight,” acknowledged Frank Warren, head of Queensberry Promotions. “I think a lot of things that Tyson said are accurate and true. It’s a good fight. I’ve got no objections to that fight. Daniel’s the one who called him out straight away, so he’s got no bloody objections.
“If we can make it, it’d be brilliant. It’d be a good fight for the fans.”
Fury did have one suggestion for how to deal with Whyte during negotiations for such a fight.
“We have to put in [Whyte’s] contract, though, he has to turn up for media and stuff,” quipped Fury, making light of Whyte’s noted absence in the buildup to their championship clash.
“This time ‘round, most definitely,” laughed Warren.
Jake Donovan is a senior writer for BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox