No announcement yet.

Tunney vs Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunney vs Foreman

Tunney was a modern boxer. Too bad most of the film is of him, or all of it, is fighting Dempsey, where he had to be extra cautious. Tunney definitely had tools and is generally underrated. The marine was a rock hard man. Take the time to look at some photos when he is flexed.

I feel Tunney would have a decent chance of of slipping George's haymakers until burger George started to tire, just as he did against Ali.

(Yeah, sure. They going to fight in the African heat, too?).

George had slow feet, even as a prime muscle elephant. Liston had much quicker feet. He was almost fast enough to run prime Clay down. George would barely have touched the Ali who destroyed Williams with such artistry.

Tunney and Ali had the style to beat George. Ali did it. I am not saying Tunney would also, I am saying I think he has a decent chance to last until George is helpless, and then have his way. Tunney was not feather fisted, and he would have fought George as carefully as he did Dempsey. I think he would find the early-round charging of George easy slippings, and might frustrate and anger him to the point that he tires even faster.

Two heavyweight champs stand alone for foot speed and they are about equal. Gene was arguably the most complete fighter of his age. He had the boxing skill of Mike Gibbons but a hurtful punch to go with it.

If Tunney could withstand the huge size and power advantage and not get caught flush, then I think he could box young foremans ears off much like jimmy young did...

Tunney was a great combination puncher which is rarely seen at the heavyweight level

Comment

Not only would Tunney be too small he also never faced anyone in the ring like George Foreman. I think Foreman walks him down and knocks Tunney out brutally.

Comment

Tunney would take his soul.

Comment

Tunney definitely showed his stuff against Dempsey. Again we get into a debate which can properly be summed up thusly: One fighter is trained for a long gruelling contest and comes in at a low weight, for the sake of mobility and endurance.... The other fighter is primed to pour it on, with maximum power and leverage. And as they say "sometimes you get the dog and sometimes the dog gets you."

Conn taught Louis a good lesson before succumbing, and then we have Herbie Hyde getting treated to being a ping pong ball as Bowe trashed him from pillor to post. Tunney was truley an exceptional fighter and could deal with size discrepancy to a point and Foreman was truly a puncher

Comment

Foreman would crush tunney,i don't even need to break this down,its not even close.If anyone really thinks tunney is going to be a long distance fighter against Foremans power is crazy.

Comment

Tunney faced both power and cleverness when he beat the likes of Jack Dempsey and Harry Greb.

I would pick him to box circles around Big George who would of course have a puncher's chance of winning the fight.

Comment

If Tunney was naturally much bigger than he was I would pick him. As it stands he would not have been able to deal with Foreman's massive strength and size advantage, and the way he used it illegally to gain advantages in his fights.

Comment

Not sure Big George would land a punch! Tunney was a master boxer for ANY era! He was years ahead of the curve and even though Dempsey wasn't his old cruel self he was still Dempsey and Tunney was brillant. Tunneys style translates easily to the current times and he could punch too!
                  Not sure how it ends but it does develop with Foreman having a tough time landing cleaning if at all.

People forget or just don't know that Tunney had almost 70 (68 I think)
                  and lost ONCE! He dropped one to Greb then drew one then beat Greb twice!
                  He was never stopped!! The guy had fineese and could fight too he was a complete package.
                  He would give away size and power but he would have the experience and savy to have a shot at disrupting George too.

George 6'4" 220-30
                  Gene 6'0" 180-90

be a great challenge.

Ray

Comment

A looping body shot might break Tunney in half. Then again, an angry Foreman will tire faster. Once George is exhausted Freddy Roach could whip him.

No rope-a-dope for Gene. He needs to avoid the ropes completely.

I don't blame anyone for feeling this is a mismatch--it may very well be. One man had superior stamina, one man had inferior stamina. The whole strategy is lasting until George gets sloppy. Once George is tired, sloppiness comes on at exponential acceleration.

When he is unable to fire thirty shots at a time because Gene is not on the ropes, he may not tire as fast, though.

Do not confuse young George with old George in your appraisal of this match. This happens a lot. Young George had no wisdom at all in the ring. It will not be the patient, older George in there. With high certainty we know how he will fight.

Tunney may not win. He is a big underdog. The point is, he might actually have a chance because of George's weakenesses and his own strengths. Make me bet my own money and I will bet it on George. But I believe Gene has a better than generally perceived chance.
                    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X