No announcement yet.

Was the Rope-A-Dope planned? Foreman-Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

マーハハ

Muhammad Ali was the greatest of all times.

Comment

Certainly a fine choice. Local radio host here in New York, Tony Paige, has Ali as his #1. He's the only host left around here who still talks any boxing. Guy knows his stuff though. Unlike the morning and afternoon drive shows, he doesn't get a lot of crazy callers that cause a lot of yelling and arguments.

I still go with Sugar Ray Robinson, with Joe Louis' longevity of 25 defenses putting him slightly ahead of Ali for me and then Ali, who has one of the best resumes ever and was the first to win the lineal title at heavyweight a third time.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        I believe Foreman gave him no choice. If it were planned, Dundee would not be yelling from the corner, "Get off the ropes!" "Get off the ropes!"
        Yeah I doubt any trainer worth a damn would work on that during training, as trainers usually make sure you stay off the ropes and out of the corner.

Comment

Ali's strategy was based on the observation that Foreman had the habit of seriously gassing out in the later rounds. Ali had seen this happen to him numerous times where Foreman struggled against inferior opponents because he had failed to pace himself properly. So he counted on this when he allowed Foreman to flail away in the African heat. Then when the expected gassing out occurred he struck. During his second career Foreman avoided gassing out that way by pacing himself.

Comment

Everyone still thinks between this fight and three Frazier fights, its what caused Ali's condition later in life. Of course now there are medical reports disputing that.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              I believe Foreman gave him no choice. If it were planned, Dundee would not be yelling from the corner, "Get off the ropes!" "Get off the ropes!"
              Thats how I see it.

He moved a lot in the early going and I think that was his plan for the fight.

Comment

it was probably a backup plan for Ali.

He was taking Foreman to school off the ropes all night long.

Comment

In Ali's book he said Foreman was great at cutting off the ring and that Ali himself world have been exhausted if he continued to move at that pace. The rope a dope was plan b.

Comment

Everybody makes out that Muhammad Ali was just laying on the ropes, by round 4/5 Ken Norton during the fight predicted that Muhammad Ali would stopped George Foreman! (I can remember watching when we where kings as a kid, and then later watching the entire fight! And It became clear to me, that Muhammad Ali beat up George Foreman for most of the fight!).

I think his tactics where planned, in a Interview just prior to the fight! He mentioned that George Foreman's wild swings will leave him open to straight punches!

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                      Everybody makes out that Muhammad Ali was just laying on the ropes, by round 4/5 Ken Norton during the fight predicted that Muhammad Ali would stopped George Foreman! (I can remember watching when we where kings as a kid, and then later watching the entire fight! And It became clear to me, that Muhammad Ali beat up George Foreman for most of the fight!).

I think his tactics where planned, in a Interview just prior to the fight! He mentioned that George Foreman's wild swings will leave him open to straight punches!
                      he did. ppl talk nonsense about this fight.

Ali schooled George all night long.

Comment

Working...
                      X