Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Kovalev's team choose Cleverly over Hopkins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by APPONO ASTOS
    op is a ****ing idiot and waste of space.......
    And breath.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by ImStillHere View Post
      See it doesn't matter now that it's Kovalev. Why you defending Stevenson?

People pretending that this argument is about Adonis?

It's about Floyd and you all know it
      Thank goodness. For a second I thought Floyd would actually be left out of a topic on NSB for once.

Whew, I can breath easy now.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...ce-kovalev-but
        So while Hopkins is in, if that is the direction Kovalev pursues, it gets a little complicated because HBO won’t do business with Golden Boy, his promoter. Though Showtime was ready to televise Hopkins against then-mandatory Karo Murat on July 13 -- before Murat dropped out because of an inability to get a visa -- the network, from what Hopkins said, is not interested in putting him on against Kovalev.

Go figure, because Hopkins-Kovalev is a much, much more interesting fight than Hopkins-Murat ever was.

“[Kovalev] is a good puncher and some people are excited about him,” Hopkins said. “He’s a better quality name than Karo Murat is.”

The reason for Showtime’s possible reluctance to put on Hopkins-Kovalev is because it is not heavily invested in the division and doesn’t have any future rights on Kovalev, so it wouldn’t want to build him up only to see him beat Hopkins and then go to HBO, which is doing a ton of business at light heavyweight and super middleweight.

So while Hopkins waits to see what will happen, he made a suggestion -- that Kovalev go fight Cleverly, and he would be happy to face new champ Adonis Stevenson, who drilled Chad Dawson in the first round June 8 to win the lineal title Hopkins used to hold (as well as an alphabet belt Hopkins used to own before losing to Dawson). Stevenson said he was interested in fighting Hopkins after beating Dawson.

“For me, it’s a no-brainer,” the 48-year-old Hopkins said. “Kovalev can go get Cleverly, I can probably get Adonis and we go head-to-head and give the fans the old light heavyweight battles they had in the late '70 and '80s, and then the winners can fight. It doesn’t seem complicated. OK, maybe I’m being a little sarcastic.”

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          Kovalev groupies are trying to brainwash the public into believing that Hopkins ducked Kovalev,even though Hopkins told Kovalev that if you want to fight give us a call.Kovalev groupies are also GGG groupies,and they are also trying to brainwash the public into believing that Ward ducked GGG.

And i`m not talking about all GGG and Kovalev fans,i`m talking about the fan boy groupies ones only.

Comment

Didn't Showtime say they won't approve a fight against Kova when Murat had visa issues? Once the visa issues were cleared they approved Murat doe

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfeind View Post
              Kovalev groupies are trying to brainwash the public into believing that Hopkins ducked Kovalev

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post

if any of that was true why did they approve hopkins-vs nobody murat? makes no sense. that's the trouble when you have a promoter running a network. they can pick and choose which fights to give their fighters. they went with the much easier fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...ce-kovalev-but

Kovalev and Hopkins did not have any exclusive contract with any Network.They could have fought on a network outside of HBO and Showtime.GGG last fight was not on HBO or Showtime.Roy Jones and James Toney fought overseas numerous times,And Roy got over a million dollars fighting in Australia.No excuses,Kovalev ducked Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfeind View Post
                    Kovalev and Hopkins did not have any exclusive contract with any Network.They could have fought on a network outside of HBO and Showtime.GGG last fight was not on HBO or Showtime.Roy Jones and James Toney fought overseas numerous times,And Roy got over a million dollars fighting in Australia.No excuses,Kovalev ducked Hopkins.
                    This guy thinks they could have fought on Nickelodeon.

Comment

Article of Hopkins saying if Kovalev wants to fight,all he has to do is give me a call,and that was when Kovalev was mandatory for Hopkins IBF belt.

Link: http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-r...enstein--66818

Comment

Working...
                      X