Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do boxing promoters schedule big fights on massive UFC weekends?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
    UFC 209 falls on the same day as Garcia Thurman. I don't understand the logic, surely, the stacked UFC card will effect Thurman/Garcia numbers.

Why not have the fight a week prior? They keep doing this, it's going to hurt their numbers.
    Garcia-Thurman was basically agreed to the week after Danny's fight in November; not boxing's fault that the UFC is bent on continuing to try and counter-program against boxing.

When was the UFC event even announced?

Comment

This isn't a big UFC card. This is one of those hardcore MMA fan cards. No one is realllly all that mainstream yet, but MMA guys are jacking off at the Khabib vs Ferguson bout more than the main event. I can't see it stealing much thunder from the boxing card.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Garcia-Thurman was basically agreed to the week after Danny's fight in November; not boxing's fault that the UFC is bent on continuing to try and counter-program against boxing.

When was the UFC event even announced?
        It may not be "boxings fault" but it's happening regardless. Boxing needs to adapt and counter. UFC 209 has been a work in progress contantly altering who will be on the card etc..

The funny thing is, I think both events will suffer in their own way due to the scheduling conflict. Yes, some people would rather watch free boxing than paid UFC.

But the people that tune into UFC, probably wont sacrifice their paid event for free boxing. However, If it were just free boxing on saturday, undoubtedly would get more views.

Comment

There's some good fights on the UFC card. It's a shame when they clash, as it's always better watching things unfold live.

Comment

Ufc 209 really isn't that big tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
              It may not be "boxings fault" but it's happening regardless. Boxing needs to adapt and counter. UFC 209 has been a work in progress contantly altering who will be on the card etc..

The funny thing is, I think both events will suffer in their own way due to the scheduling conflict. Yes, some people would rather watch free boxing than paid UFC.

But the people that tune into UFC, probably wont sacrifice their paid event for free boxing. However, If it were just free boxing on saturday, undoubtedly would get more views.
              This isn't the 1950's. Anyone caring enough about both cards, like myself, will be watching both at the same time anyway. We have the technology, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                This isn't a big UFC card. This is one of those hardcore MMA fan cards. No one is realllly all that mainstream yet, but MMA guys are jacking off at the Khabib vs Ferguson bout more than the main event. I can't see it stealing much thunder from the boxing card.
                For me it's the perfect storm. UFC cards are big at bars, and now you have a great boxing match that can also be shown at the bar.

Comment

It's hard enough to find open Saturdays for boxing to begin with, let alone worrying about MMA.

A free TV Haymon show is never going to worry about a UFC pay-per-view.

Comment

I bet there's some MMA fanboys somewhere on the interwebs asking why UFC would schedule a PPV on the same night as the best free boxing fight since before UFC began. Thurman/Garcia will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X