Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shelly Finkel exposes Eddie Hearn. Hearn hasn't gotten back to him since November!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Because of loyalty and all the money Showtime has put into both of them.
    Come on man. Don't be naive. There isn't any loyalty like that in boxing lmfao. You go where they pay you the most & if they don't got you signed to a contract THEY aren't that loyal to your a$$. This is an a$$es in seats business not a friend business at this level of the game.

If HBO is willing to show loyalty enough to invest in Joshua's future to sign him to a multi-year or multi-fight deal & Wilder isn't signed with no one & Wilder won't fight on HBO Wilder is being a dumb mfer. Showtime won't be paying Wilder's bills in the future.

I mean there are other variables to consider so its not a straight money thing necessarily & I don't wanna make it sound like it is, but on the real if Wilder can make $10M+ for a HBO fight vs the other top guy in the division whos signed to HBO but instead he avoids the $10M+ HBO fight vs the other top guy while he himself is not signed to a competing network to fight some lesser guy for $1.5M-$2M or w/e on the "loyal to him" network than I think he's being stupid more than loyal.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      He runs it but his Dad is still the boss if I'm not mistaken.

I know George Groves outed him about it during the whole Froch saga. Between Froch 1 and 2 something along of the lines of "If you want to get this fight done get Daddy to call me" or something like that.

I know he's taken a back seat on the day to day running of the business but I believe Barry is still the boss at the end of the day.
      I dunno. In terms of interviews and stuff it generally seems like Eddie knows everything about the boxing side where BArry is pretty clueless. Barry is still boss of Matchroom overall, but Eddie is firmly the boss of the boxing side from what I have seen.

When any fighters talk about promoters or negotiations or anything, they talk about Eddie not Barry.

Groves prob just playing on a pretty easy insult towards Eddie that everyone uses, ie, hes only got where he has got due to his dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        I dunno. In terms of interviews and stuff it generally seems like Eddie knows everything about the boxing side where BArry is pretty clueless. Barry is still boss of Matchroom overall, but Eddie is firmly the boss of the boxing side from what I have seen.

When any fighters talk about promoters or negotiations or anything, they talk about Eddie not Barry.

Groves prob just playing on a pretty easy insult towards Eddie that everyone uses, ie, hes only got where he has got due to his dad.
        That's what I mean. Eddie runs the day to day ongoings of Matchroom but Barry is the boss.

And Groves meant what he said literally, he clarified it after, that Barry is the actual person who is the boss of Matchroom.

Comment

He most have backed off cause the negotiations went south, decided not to waste anymore time on it, moved on. Finkle must want a call from Eddie every damn day of the week until the fight is made, unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            That's what I mean. Eddie runs the day to day ongoings of Matchroom but Barry is the boss.

And Groves meant what he said literally, he clarified it after, that Barry is the actual person who is the boss of Matchroom.
            But you have to remember Matchroom is a multi sport promotion.

If we are talking about the boxing, Eddie is the boss. Barry is the boss of Matchroom overall. But Matchroom Boxing, Eddie is in control.

I think Barry got involved with Eggingtons career because he liked him, and he attends some events, but for the purposes of these negotiations, its Eddie that will be in control. Thats from Barry btw. He has said that he isnt involved in the boxing other than giving advice if Eddie asks for it.

Comment

Barry knows how to do big business in the states, Hearn doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Wouldn't it be smarter for Finkel to deal with Eddie being that the alleged strategy is to bide time? You are just helping Eddie's strategy along if thats the case.

I do suspect HBO is the plan & been saying that every since Hearn got with HBO & I'm sure Hearn & HBO has been talking about that since before the current agreement got made & thats probably part of the reason HBO are showing Jacobs vs "that guy who might be murdered in the ring who I never heard of" right now.

But I still don't get why that holds up Joshua vs Wilder, cuz I don't see anything keeping Wilder on Showtime except this weird "handshake" agreement with Espinoza & Haymon that I don't really fully grasp the upside with it for the boxers when a huge fight like this comes along. To me Haymon, a guy who's proclaimed to be looking out for boxers more than most other people in this game, would have to go against his entire persona to not allow Wilder to go over to HBO if Joshua signed with HBO.

Or where is the proof that Wilder is signed to Showtime cuz I don't believe I've ever heard that said concisely & clearly by anyone of note.
                Showtime has put the money up when HBO has chosen not to; whether that changes in the future is for time to tell, but that's the reality of the situation.

No one knows for sure, but the boxing budget on HBO is what it is, and has been moving that way for years.

Is HBO really going to go to the mattresses and top whatever offer that Showtime/CBS will put on the table for a six-fight deal with Anthony Joshua, knowing full well that they are second-fiddle to Sky Sports?

Without at least one PPV fight in hand, I don't think so.

Deontay Wilder is now apparently on $2m+ per fight, with DiBella now confident enough in his draw to run the full Barclays Center for his fights. Wilder defending his WBC belt in primetime on CBS isn't out of the question either. Deontay Wilder is in a really good spot to simply keep fighting and let the public pressure do what it's supposed to (that diss against Eddie Hearn "milking a black man" was unnecessary, so glad that he left that alone).

Anthony Joshua, were he/Hearn to avoid Wilder, has the Povetkin-Price winner, 'Big Baby' Miller, Charr-Oquendo winner, David Haye (only if he beats Bellew decisively), and maybe Tyson Fury as the immediately viable options to fight.

Not a one of the fights that really moves the needle in the US if we're honest about it.

Finkell is being a bit ham-fisted here, but the tact might work; HBO is unlikely to find the money to have the international fights make sense (Showtime has the Wilder fights as the cash out on such a deal), and the public have just gotten the chance to see another exciting heavyweight championship fight.

The split won't end up being 50/50, but both camps will come to the table, with neither really able to dictate to the other, and a deal will likely be had.

If not for August, definitely by December/January; Joshua(c) vs Wilder (c), for the undisputed heavyweight championship of the world, from Barclays Center/T-Mobile Arena, live on Sky Box Office/SHOPPV.

If Barry Hearn can cajole his son to return the calls (even if the talks begin from a place that Eddie Hearn doesn't see as being viable), he would've be doing right by the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                  AJ better dominate Parker then, because if it goes to the cards and it's close, Wilder holds the cards in negotiation after last night.
                  Not really. At the end of the day, it comes down to where the money is being generated on how big the collision is.

Need to know how Anthony Joshua draws at 3am but Sky Box Office puts something like $15m into the pot, almost solely to see Anthony Joshua, while the spectacle of Wilder-Joshua gets MGM Resorts to dig into the pocket to host the fight, with SHOPPV having Interests in both Wilder and Joshua.

80/20 Joshua on Sky Box Office, 60/40 Wilder on SHOPPV, 50/50 on the live gate at MGM Resorts, 65/35 Joshua on the rest of the TV rights in the EU, 60/40 Wilder on the TV rights for Canada/Mexico/Latin America, with everything else split 50/50.

There's a fair deal to be had

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Not really. At the end of the day, it comes down to where the money is being generated on how big the collision is.

Need to know how Anthony Joshua draws at 3am but Sky Box Office puts something like $15m into the pot, almost solely to see Anthony Joshua, while the spectacle of Wilder-Joshua gets MGM Resorts to dig into the pocket to host the fight, with SHOPPV having Interests in both Wilder and Joshua.

80/20 Joshua on Sky Box Office, 60/40 Wilder on SHOPPV, 50/50 on the live gate at MGM Resorts, 65/35 Joshua on the rest of the TV rights in the EU, 60/40 Wilder on the TV rights for Canada/Mexico/Latin America, with everything else split 50/50.

There's a fair deal to be had
                    that deal looks great, but looks like Wilder might actually get a little more haha

Comment

Originally posted by Kezzer View Post
                      Just on another point, which I think is an interesting viewpoint. Did last night actually make the fight less likely to happen in America?

The reason I say that, is as the A side - Joshua, Hearn and co will have just seen first hand that the judges all had wilder ahead (while 95% of public all had Ortiz several points ahead), and a few referee decisions which were in his favour (extra time at start of round following the Ortiz battering him rojnd, allowed to hit Ortiz twice after the bell). If I was Joshua that would make me think again about even going to Vegas to fight Wilder, force the fight in the UK only or no deal. Joshua can fight others in America and still has plenty of time on his side to go to Vegas in the future.
                      Vegas trumps everything, full stop.

If MGM Resorts doesn't back the fight (which I doubt), things would be down to Barclays Center [CBS/Sky Box Office] vs Wembley [Sky Box Office/SHO International], likely moving some of the points on the live gate.

Joshua has basically maxed out on the money in the UK with the Klitschko fight, and is a good enough fighter to be a global star.

Ambition won't let him be content simply staying in the UK and not topping the Klitschko fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X