Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Pretty Boy' Josh Kelly: any flaws or weaknesses?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Pretty Boy' Josh Kelly: any flaws or weaknesses?

I like the look of this kid. 7-0 (5 KO), having a stay-busy fight this weekend on the Usyk-Bellew undercard. Talk of pushing him on next year in pursuit of a Top 10 ranking with the alphabet orgs. Names like Roberto Guerrero and Brandon Rios being mentioned as future opponents.

Just wondering, what are his weaknesses? Any criticisms or flaws in his game? What I've seen he looks very good and I think he's with a great trainer in Adam Booth. Could go far if he's matched well, but he is in a stacked division at Welterweight.

Seems reasonably talented but I don't see anything special.

Not overly good in any area and gaping holes defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Not overly good in any area and gaping holes defensively.
      I agree somewhat with the comment on defense. Can't remember which fight, but seemed he'd got too used to keeping his hands low with a sloppy defense. When he came up against someone who could time him he was getting caught too much. Don't think that was a flaw, just a lack of respect for his current level of opposition. Would like to see him pushed hard, say like when Carson Jones gave Kell Brook hell about 6 years ago.

Comment

Only problem I see is a lack of punching power as he steps up the levels, if his power can't keep guys off him they will find holes in his defence with constant pressure.

Everything else is great.

Comment

Trades on his reflexes.

Really hard to know where those sort of fighters end up because someone at
          A certain level could time him consistently and that’s that. Or maybe he adapts his defence and shows more to his game.

Either way that time he hit that guy with about 20 left hooks in a row was both impressive and hilarious.

Comment

He looks good so far. He has a flashy style but i wonder how his fundamentals will be once fighters of a good level can time him style and he has to rely on the basics and get the job done.

people compare his style to Naseem Hamed. when Hamed fought Kevin Kelley, he was getting timed a lot early on and then actually started to fight in a more conventional style for a couple of rounds with a guard up more and got the job done when he couldn't get away with his usual tricks as much.

Josh Kelly was a good amateur and has a good trainer, so you would have to assume he can tone it down and be more business-like in the ring if he has to, but that remains to be seen.

He'll come unstuck if he thinks he can fight that way all the way to the top, because his defence already seems a bit leaky even at this level when he is being too flashy.

Definitely has a bright future in the game if he can show he is well rounded enough when it matters.

Comment

We'll see as he steps up in competition, thats always the tell.

Comment

hes decent but josh taylor is da one

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                  hes decent but josh taylor is da one
                  Thank you. I was confusing the 2. Taylor is the good 140 pounder right?

Comment

With the hands down/defensive mistakes you're better off having power+chin over speed. Guys like Froch would lure opponents into commiting to an attack and then just punch with them, Kelly can't do that and win the exchange at world title level.

Baranchyk isn't a great fighter or fast but he makes his defensive issues work for him just because of the power/chin he has. Yigit isn't a puncher, should've just boxed and moved but because there were so many openings he tried to sit down on some shots and IB just punched with him and did more damage.

Kelly's still young though, a lot of learning fights left. He does have eye catching talent but not sure if how it'll develop.

Comment

Working...
                    X