No announcement yet.

Anyone misses Bert Sugar (RIP)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
    I loved just watching/listening to Burt Sugar. There aren't many historians left anymore.
    We still got Max Kellerman.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
      We still got Max Kellerman.

Old drunk ass Larry needs to come back

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
        Old drunk ass Larry needs to come back

Larry was the best. HBO went downhill after he was gone.

Kellerman was so shtty I bet he was one of the reasons HBO boxing died.

"He won da story of da fight doe." Lol, Max is a f**king idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
          Larry was the best. HBO went downhill after he was gone.

Kellerman was so shtty I bet he was one of the reasons HBO boxing died.

"He won da story of da fight doe." Lol, Max is a f**king idiot.
          I ****ing can't stand Max on First Take when he talks basketball.

I feel like I want to drive to NYC, walk on set and punch his ass

Comment

I certainly don't want to disparage a man how passed away (of the dead, say nothing but good), but some of his "history" was his opinion, and not fact. He often changed events to suit his own line of thinking. But he certainly is missed, as are many of the "old school" guys who actually saw the great ones, like Robinson, fight in bouts of which we have no footage. The problem in those cases is do we believe the guy? Because he'll put his own spin on things.

Definitely had the kind of color that is missed these days.

Comment

One thing I distinctly remember about Bert comes from the commentary track to “Rocky” (2007, 2 disc DVD edition). He and Lou Duva were doing analysis, and Lou used the term “right hook.” Bert corrected him and said, “There’s no such thing as a right hook, only a left hook.” I found it amusing on a couple of counts. One, here’s this crazy experienced trainer and he doesn’t know this very basic fact — something even I happened to know. Two, Sugar had the temerity to very casually correct Duva. Lol

Boxing is a fringe sport, and has been for some time. It used to be very popular in the United States. Nowadays there aren’t too many people that were old enough when boxing was still popular to care about the sport to a big degree. I can’t say I miss Bert, but I appreciated him. It’s entertaining to hear analysis of the greats. As someone mentioned before, these days you’ve got commentators that don’t know as much about the sport as they should. I know Teddy Atlas isn’t well liked by many fans, and I know he has his faults, but at least he obviously knows a great deal about boxing. You have to value that.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                My history teachers never showed up to class dressed up like a pharaoh and fronting like they watched the pyramids being built.
                Haha Got a real laugh out of this one. Touché.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                  I used to love the stories he used to tell about all the old fighters and old fights. Especially Ray Robinson.

Its hard for me to think about the Top ATGs withought thinking of him and his perspective of all the older fighters vs the current fighters (before he passed)

When i first got into boxing i felt like Bert was Boxing..... Him and that cigar....talking about all the fighters and moments that shaped the sport.

Any other boxing personalities or trainers yall miss hearing?
                  Of course I miss him. He bridged the gap between old school and current boxing quite nicely. He was a little stuck in the olden days and over glamorized it a bit but he was like a time capsule that kept those times and stories alive. Boxing died a little bit with him. Just like it will when guys like Merchant and Arum go. (No, I'm not comparing Arum to Sugar)

RIP Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                    Of course I miss him. He bridged the gap between old school and current boxing quite nicely. He was a little stuck in the olden days and over glamorized it a bit but he was like a time capsule that kept those times and stories alive. Boxing died a little bit with him. Just like it will when guys like Merchant and Arum go. (No, I'm not comparing Arum to Sugar)

RIP Bert
                    Yeah that was my point of this thread. We will never get what he represented back.

I understand he wasnt at all these fights, or put his spin on things. But he bridged the gap.

Comment

I miss bernie mac.

Comment

Working...
                      X