No announcement yet.

Riddick Bowe in 1992 vs. Andrew Golota in 1996

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddick Bowe in 1992 vs. Andrew Golota in 1996

Does anyone else think Golata would have still been a problem for Bowe even in 92? When Golota had his head on right he was a great boxer, could jab, work on the inside and had some pretty good combinations. I think h2h Golota in 96 would still beat Bowe in 92.
    Andrew Golota in 1996
    14.29%
    Riddick Bowe in 1992
    85.71%

The poll is expired.

At the time I was so impressed with both Golota vs Bowe fights that I genuinely thought Golota had a good chance to beat Lewis!

Golota did have some very fast hands, great combinations and nice ring movement and defensive smarts.

The problem was that he didn't deal with genuine adversity very well.

Like it or not; Bowe was fat, sluggish and overconfident in their first fight. He wasn't anything like he had been in the first Holyfield fight.....fast, powerful, motivated, great work rate. In truth, Bowe took a beating despite the foul ending!

In fight two Bowe was certainly motivated; he had clearly trained very hard. But his weight was far too low, his legs looked spindly, his once great chin was very suspect, he looked disjointed....and his speech afterwards was alarmingly slurred. I genuinely think that Bowe may have suffered critically from the first Golota fight. He was never right since!

If 1992 Bowe met 1996 Golota, I don't doubt Golota would foul out, as he did in both latter fights. But I think he'd be on the end of the beating!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
      Does anyone else think Golata would have still been a problem for Bowe even in 92? When Golota had his head on right he was a great boxer, could jab, work on the inside and had some pretty good combinations. I think h2h Golota in 96 would still beat Bowe in 92.
      Those fights were such a mindfvk... Bowe always had lazy eyes...and during that fight his eyes would close as Golata hit little bowe and the ballsack as a speed bag. It was just painful to watch.

I will say this: for whatever reason the foul pole decided that he would have no fear of Bowe and Bowe liked to be feared... would have made for an interesting dynamic at any time perhaps.

Comment

Golota was one of the biggest wastes. I give the edge to Bowe. Even before the two Bowe fights he was crazy. I remember when he bit Nicholson on the neck or shoulder and that was a fight he was winning. Or when he quit for no reason, one round away from a huge upset over Grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          At the time I was so impressed with both Golota vs Bowe fights that I genuinely thought Golota had a good chance to beat Lewis!

Golota did have some very fast hands, great combinations and nice ring movement and defensive smarts.

The problem was that he didn't deal with genuine adversity very well.

Like it or not; Bowe was fat, sluggish and overconfident in their first fight. He wasn't anything like he had been in the first Holyfield fight.....fast, powerful, motivated, great work rate. In truth, Bowe took a beating despite the foul ending!

In fight two Bowe was certainly motivated; he had clearly trained very hard. But his weight was far too low, his legs looked spindly, his once great chin was very suspect, he looked disjointed....and his speech afterwards was alarmingly slurred. I genuinely think that Bowe may have suffered critically from the first Golota fight. He was never right since!

If 1992 Bowe met 1996 Golota, I don't doubt Golota would foul out, as he did in both latter fights. But I think he'd be on the end of the beating!
          I think a lot of people did including me. But that fight ended Golota's mystique for the rest of his career.

Comment

Yes; the Lewis fight shattered the myth of 'the real life Ivan Drago'.

Comment

Riddick Bowe would win! But It would still be a very competitive fight! For a short period of time? Andrew Golota was the most dangerous man in the heavyweight division! (I always thought it was a shame that he quite against Mike Tyson, as he was actually performing very well! Mike Tyson up close must of been one intimidating individual to unhinge Andrew Golota, a man who was from a very rough and bad place himself!)...

Comment

Working...
              X