No announcement yet.

News Anchor Who Quit on Live TV to Sell Weed Faces 24 Years in Prison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Anchor Who Quit on Live TV to Sell Weed Faces 24 Years in Prison

Two years ago, Charlo Greene, a news anchor for local Alaska channel, was doing a segment on the Alaska Cannabis Club when she went off-script to reveal that she was actually the owner of this club. "I, the actual owner of the Alaska Cannabis Club, will be dedicating all of my energy toward f!ghting for freedom and fairness, which begins with legalizing marijuana here in Alaska," she said on live television, before declaring, like a boss, "fu*k it, I quit." The camera then cut to a flummoxed anchor who apologized. Soon after, the clip went viral.

Now, after a fu*ked up turn of events, Greene faces 24 years in prison with eight charges of "misconduct involving a controlled substance" even though Alaska became the third state to legalize marijuana, in November 2014 (two months after Greene's on-air resignation). The legalization didn't go in effect until February 2015, and between those months, cops raided Greene's cannabis club twice and made six undercover purchases, allowing them to charge her with "serious criminal offenses."

In an interview with The Guardian, Greene said, "It's almost dizzying when you try to make sense of it. It could literally cost me the rest of my adult life." If convicted, the 28-year-old will be 52 by the time she gets out—for such a minor offense, if an offense at all. Greene has also referred to her case as "modern day lynching"—words that sadly ring too untrue when considering people of color are often targeted in cases of minor marijuana charges.

Greene says she became an advocate for marijuana legalization because of its medicinal benefits. "This could literally be changing these people's lives," she said. The Alaska PD's John Skidmore stands by the decision, saying, "You need to follow the regulations and do so in a legal fashion." So charge her with a fine, not 24 years in federal prison.

Greene pleaded not guilty. She will stand trial in the upcoming months.
    Source: http://www.complex.com/life/2016/09/...ign=complexmag

That's a handsome black woman.

Comment

Damn all those years just for buying weed?

I could see if it was cocaine but 24 years is harsh for bud.

Comment

Lets see if any of you posters are smart enough to recognize what happened here.

Comment

Lmao at the anchor chick wigging out after that happend

Comment

Wow!! I don't like weed. Don't like the smell and don't like how it make some people act when they just over do it on a daily basis, but I also don't like the sentencing guidelines for these types of so-called crimes. I drink alcohol and I do believe that alcohol is a worse drug than marijuana. But 24 years..... You would think that she killed somebody. Now the way she quit her job was way out of line and she deserve some sort of punishment for that, but 24 years is way too much time to even call that karma. Hopefully they're just scaring her and will give her probation or just a little bit of jail time, but no prison. When she quit on live tv and told the world that she owned the business, she brought that attention to herself, when she should of stayed low key with it. But hopefully she gets/got a slap on the wrist and her business becomes a success. Its funny, just 2 or 3 days ago, I was researching on how to open a facility like that, but since I don't smoke it and don't know much about it, even though I grew up around it, it may not be the right business for me. But if I did, I would definitely be behind the scenes and this post would be the most that I would ever disclose about it. lol

Comment

Damn man, she's too hot to go to prison.

I bet she could roll a mean fatty.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                Damn all those years just for buying weed?

I could see if it was cocaine but 24 years is harsh for bud.
                yeah its crazy that in some states they still treat weed possession like its a hard drug.

Comment

Originally posted by B.U.R.N.E.R View Post
                  Lets see if any of you posters are smart enough to recognize what happened here.
                  Obviously the white man keeping the black man down again...

Comment

Your honor please sentence her to ten years of riding my c0ck.

Comment

Working...
                    X