No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston

I just watched “PARIAH” a documentary about Sonny Liston and I am reading the "The Devil and Sonny Liston" and facking **** the guy could not get a break with any community except the underground one. What a story he carries. Does anyone have any extra stories about him, that you have known here or there?

Thugs that act as strong arms for loan sharks are not high on the list of receiving breaks. He wanted the cops to throw him a tea and greet party after he stuffed one of them upside down in a garbage can, but they were not interested. Nowadays they would rename a bridge after him, and probably will yet.

He had mitts like this fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IichinALHkQ

Comment

Originally posted by LazzerJab View Post
      I just watched “PARIAH” a documentary about Sonny Liston and I am reading the "The Devil and Sonny Liston" and facking **** the guy could not get a break with any community except the underground one. What a story he carries. Does anyone have any extra stories about him, that you have known here or there?
      One of my favorite Liston stories, was when a cop used a night stick on his head, and broke his night stick.

MY father meet Sonny in Las Vegas and sad he's ever bit as scary as he looks in the ring. He also meet Joe Louis, who was then working as a greater, and said he took too many and was slow minded.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
        One of my favorite Liston stories, was when a cop used a night stick on his head, and broke his night stick.

MY father meet Sonny in Las Vegas and sad he's ever bit as scary as he looks in the ring. He also meet Joe Louis, who was then working as a greater, and said he took too many and was slow minded.

Comment

wtf! a night stick!

Comment

Just saw the documentary last night. Sobering to see how people eked out an existence in Jim Crow era and how brutal and bleak life could be.

I've always been enamored with Liston, just such a menacing character and type-cast villain. It was interesting to see how everyone tried to keep Patterson away from Sonny because they didn't want him to be the face of the heavyweight division.

While I watching the documentary, I wondered how different things would have turned out if Ali/Clay quit from the substance in his eyes and lost via TKO in the first fight.

Comment

Working...
            X