Size Queens, Wilder vs David Haye

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size Queens, Wilder vs David Haye

We have a natural cruiserweight in David Haye sparring Wilder

Haye, although blown up from weights (easily distinguished by his smaller head and hands) is still 6 ft 3 and about 210 at heavyweight. He doesn't look too small for Wilder, he actually looks stronger. Curious why some think Wilder is too big for guys like Foreman? or Ali?

Last edited by them_apples; 11-20-2020, 11:38 AM.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    We have a natural cruiserweight in David Hate sparring Wilder

Haye, although blown up from weights (easily distinguished by his smaller head and hands) is still 6 ft 3 and about 210 at heavyweight. He doesn't look too small for Wilder, he actually looks stronger. Curious why some think Wilder is too big for guys like Foreman? or Ali?

Wilder isn't to big. MOST heavyweights aren't. Personally I think Foreman would weather Wilders storm and end up stopping him. Getting hit wasn't his problem, getting gassed out was.

But back to the topic....I think skill level plus size equals an advantage. I'd expect guys like Lewis and Wlad to do well against anyone based on their skills, not just there size. At the time of that sparring session Haye wasn't much smaller and had far more experience. Skills trump size every day of the week in my opinion.

Comment

Of course a 6'3" 210 lbs guy will look buffer than a 6'7" 212-220 lbs guy.

Wilder however has a very long reach and he almost never has to punch up on his opponent, which is a benefit for a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by MartialMind View Post
        Of course a 6'3" 210 lbs guy will look buffer than a 6'7" 212-220 lbs guy.

Wilder however has a very long reach and he almost never has to punch up on his opponent, which is a benefit for a fighter.
        As a fighter, and it didn't happen often..I always found it difficult to punch down as we as up against another fighter. I believe most of us train to hit the mitts or pads at our hieght. I would wager 99.9% of of train on the heavy bag as if it's our height. Height and reach are an advantage, but it will almost always be trumped by skill. At heavyweight.....they all know what they're facing. Lower weights.....they have move up knowing exactly what they're facing. Probably carrying over from another thread, but you can't claim advantages for any fighter who moved up and signs the line. They've put themselves in the cross hairs for better or worse. At heavyweight it's different. You really don't have a choice. There is no where else to go

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Wilder isn't to big. MOST heavyweights aren't. Personally I think Foreman would weather Wilders storm and end up stopping him. Getting hit wasn't his problem, getting gassed out was.

But back to the topic....I think skill level plus size equals an advantage. I'd expect guys like Lewis and Wlad to do well against anyone based on their skills, not just there size. At the time of that sparring session Haye wasn't much smaller and had far more experience. Skills trump size every day of the week in my opinion.
          Foreman wouldnt not only weather the storm, he would do it easily. Nothing on Wilders resume says hes punching strong enough to bother George. He's got a whole list of tomato cans, the same guys any good puncher would stop in 1 round.

Foreman has a track record of taking a good shot. Morrison looked like a slapper vs George. Cooney couldn't budge him. Frazier couldnt budge him. Wilder isn't gonna get more than one shot off before getting hammered to the canvas, and its going to do no more damage than it did vs Fury the second time - which was 0.

Comment

Working...
          X