Frazier beats Tyson 8 times out of 10

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ol' Mike!!!

Comment

Mike is mighty hard to beat for mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        Considering both Frzier and Tyson beat men much bigger than them, and considering they are both the same height, similar reach and near identical weight - I don't think size has any factor in this matchup at all.

Holyfield beat Tyson because he stayed in close and didnt give Tyson room to punch.
        Holyfield beat Tyson because he was almost equally a skilled counter puncher at the time they fought however clearly Holyfield was the sharper fighter ,not to mention Evan Fields delivery full of growth hormones and Tyson still stayed with him for the most part .

Tyson claimed Holyfield wasn’t going to agree to drug testing but got fed up and fought him anyway .

I’d say Joe vs Mike would end somewhat like Marvis ,to much fire power . 1980”s Mike would never be the underdog in this one .

Comment

- -At the time of the first fight, Field was considered shot and that's what played out in his training camp that we the people knew about.

DKing dragged him up from the dead for an easy sacrifice, but for whatever the reason, Mike found himself in an unexpected fight he hadn't trained for in his celebrity comeback, and the rest is recorded history.

Great fight too, one of the best ever.

Comment

I would reference Joe's fights with Bonavena as the closest thing to Mike Tyson in his career, and that's a stretch. Bonavena was about the same height as Tyson but twenty pounds lighter. He was much slower too. He was an aggressive bull-like fighter who came forward and slugged away. He had a solid chin and could take a punch. He managed to drop Frazier twice in their first fight. Both fights he went the distance with Frazier.

Tyson is far more powerful, quick, and diverse than Bonavena. If Frazier survives the first six rounds he may be able to see the distance, but a prime Tyson is too much for him IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              I would reference Joe's fights with Bonavena as the closest thing to Mike Tyson in his career, and that's a stretch. Bonavena was about the same height as Tyson but twenty pounds lighter. He was much slower too. He was an aggressive bull-like fighter who came forward and slugged away. He had a solid chin and could take a punch. He managed to drop Frazier twice in their first fight. Both fights he went the distance with Frazier.

Tyson is far more powerful, quick, and diverse than Bonavena. If Frazier survives the first six rounds he may be able to see the distance, but a prime Tyson is too much for him IMO.
              Tysons not that big, hes probably got half an inch of height on Frazier and it's mostly neck.

Yeah Frazier could get down to 205, but he also has been 220+ Mike was in the 90s and actively trying to put on weight, he didnt run a lot and he ate a lot to stay above 215. Frazier was doing the opposite and was an atrition fighter. Regardless they are so close in size I don't know why people even bring it up.

Holyfield was 210 vs Foreman AND blown up, Foreman was 257 or something, Holyfield mixed it up with him all night. Why are people so obsessed with size.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...51c9b22ebe.jpg

Comment

Someone will get hurt badly, we just don't know who it is. If Tyson catches him with a shot like the White buffalo, Joe will be ready for scarifice. But if Joe finds the rhythm, he will swell Mike's eyes and shrink his heart.

Billy may be right--Joe was an over achiever who seems to have had little natural athletic ability.

There was once an ABC Wide World of Sports special where athletes from diverse sports competed against one another in various events. I forget what most of the events were. For sure there was some weight lifting, some running and some throwing. What sticks out is how poorly Frazier did. In the weightlifting he was weak, in the running he was slow and lethargic. He was a solid last place in practically every event.

Comment

The fact that Frazier starts slow would put him at risk of being blown out. That's the fear I have if fighters like Joe Louis, Rocky, Frazier etc ever went against a young, dangerous Tyson that'll be punching straight out of the gate. They were all slow starters. If Frazier made it a few rounds, then he'd get Tyson out of there late. It's a 50/50 toss up to me but would definitely be an exciting shootout either way.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Someone will get hurt badly, we just don't know who it is. If Tyson catches him with a shot like the White buffalo, Joe will be ready for scarifice. But if Joe finds the rhythm, he will swell Mike's eyes and shrink his heart.

Billy may be right--Joe was an over achiever who seems to have had little natural athletic ability.

There was once an ABC Wide World of Sports special where athletes from diverse sports competed against one another in various events. I forget what most of the events were. For sure there was some weight lifting, some running and some throwing. What sticks out is how poorly Frazier did. In the weightlifting he was weak, in the running he was slow and lethargic. He was a solid last place in practically every event.
                    Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                    The fact that Frazier starts slow would put him at risk of being blown out. That's the fear I have if fighters like Joe Louis, Rocky, Frazier etc ever went against a young, dangerous Tyson that'll be punching straight out of the gate. They were all slow starters. If Frazier made it a few rounds, then he'd get Tyson out of there late. It's a 50/50 toss up to me but would definitely be an exciting shootout either way.
                    Two really good points. Frazier was a fighter, never an athlete. He was not going to do any machinations against Tyson... Actually both guys would be head to head from the get go. It would look like Marciano (Joe) against Dempsey! lol. Holyfield was deliberate against Tyson, Joe had his way and no real alternative.

And slow starters can get wrecked by an undeterred puncher! Isn't that kind of what happened with Joe against Foreman?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Two really good points. Frazier was a fighter, never an athlete. He was not going to do any machinations against Tyson... Actually both guys would be head to head from the get go. It would look like Marciano (Joe) against Dempsey! lol. Holyfield was deliberate against Tyson, Joe had his way and no real alternative.

And slow starters can get wrecked by an undeterred puncher! Isn't that kind of what happened with Joe against Foreman?
                      That is what happened to Joe vs Foreman, but it's a completely different fight. I use that fight as the reason Joe actually beats Mike. Foreman never let Joe work inside at all. He pushed him over and over. What was spectacular is Joe got up 6 times and on his own accord said it just wasn't worth continuing, but he could have. Tyson is not going to put Joe away, if he survived that onslaught from probably the hungriest version of Foreman.

Second, going into that fight Joe was not only champ but already beat Ali. Nobody really knew who Foreman was. Joe noticably came in heavier and not nearly as prepared as the Ali fight.

Tyson is going to sit right in the pocket with Joe. He's going to get hit by Joe, and once the punches start flying, it suits Joe a lot more than Tyson, who never showed he had any type of infighting skills.

On top of this, Fraziers heart is being totally underestimated in this. Frazier was a hell of a champion, he's not just gonna get chin checked like the guys Mike was beating. Most of those guys were terrified of him.

Lastly, Joe hit hard. I wouldn't be certain to claim Mike hits harder. He has better punch variety, and is more so a knock out artist when it came to his Roberto Duran esque set ups, but Joe was was a consistent and brutal puncher if we are talking raw power. It's actually crazy if you look at all the guys Joe not only beat, but stopped. He damn near got rid of Ali, if Ali wasn't Ali. I'll Say Mike might have been a bit stronger than Joe, Joe was was just more relentless and undeniably the better inside fighter.

Even outside of this though, I don't think man to man Joe loses to Tyson, he never showed he had that champions ego on the highest level, he has a track record of quitting or falling apart when the punches start coming a bit too fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X