Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to throw the push off (rear leg) jab well?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to throw the push off (rear leg) jab well?

I have noticed a subtly about the technique and I wonder if any of you will describe it when teaching ie a subtlety to maximize power and bodyweight in the jab.

So give me step by step instructions of how you would teach it/have been taught it.

this is the bASIC PUSH OFF JAB I MEAN,

https://youtu.be/m4MWdxLliLc

Comment

i TELL YOU THEY CANT TEACH THE SUBTLE STUFF AND IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE

THEY CAN SAY PUSH OFF THE REAL LEG TO TAKE A STEP WITH THE FRONT AND LET THE BODY SHOOT YOUR ARM OUT

BUT SOME PEOPLE WILL DO IT IN A WAY THATS MUCH BETTER THAN OTHERS JUST BY A RANDOM CO-ORDINATION THEY ARE PRONE TO AND IT WILL MAKE THEM MUCH HARDER WITH THE JAB, AND ANYONE CAN DO IT, ITS JUST THEY FLUKED OUT IN FINDING A CERTAIN "CO-ORDINATION", AND NO TRAINER IS PICKING UP ON IT OR TEACHING IT

Comment

practice holding your shoulder with your right hand and throw the left jab. I saw Kronk fighters do this. This is because a lot of noobs will torque their jab unknowingly because that's how the other power shots generate force. Problem is, the jab is a tool not a power shot, it's there to set up shots and defend as well as ring general ship. It gets launched from the shoulder only (for some even the tricep only...like Marquez), and therefore has minimal telegraphing.

so effectively the jab is an arm punch, however if you step into it and turn the shot over with force the impact can still be strong especially if timed well.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          practice holding your shoulder with your right hand and throw the left jab. I saw Kronk fighters do this. This is because a lot of noobs will torque their jab unknowingly because that's how the other power shots generate force. Problem is, the jab is a tool not a power shot, it's there to set up shots and defend as well as ring general ship. It gets launched from the shoulder only (for some even the tricep only...like Marquez), and therefore has minimal telegraphing.

so effectively the jab is an arm punch, however if you step into it and turn the shot over with force the impact can still be strong especially if timed well.

cool, good advice, albeit opinion based, many facts but many great boxers use the hips to throw the jab, probably a time and place for each

so how would you teach to throw a jab? In terms of getting optimal power from it without turning it into something useless by your and kronk judgments?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            cool, good advice, albeit opinion based, many facts but many great boxers use the hips to throw the jab, probably a time and place for each

so how would you teach to throw a jab? In terms of getting optimal power from it without turning it into something useless by your and kronk judgments?
            your don't jerk your hips into a jab. Maybe in a kick boxing gym but if you do it's not a proper jab whoever taught you that. Not a single great fighter throws a jab like that, at least not since the 30's onward.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              your don't jerk your hips into a jab. Maybe in a kick boxing gym but if you do it's not a proper jab whoever taught you that. Not a single great fighter throws a jab like that, at least not since the 30's onward.
              How do you think Foreman and Liston got the power into their jab? Most modern boxers arm jab, push off jab hip jab and more, most have about 7 variations of the jab alone
              Last edited by AlexKid; 01-06-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                How do you think Foreman and Liston got the power into their jab? Most modern boxers arm jab, push off jab hip jab and more, most have about 7 variations of the jab alone
                they got power because they had naturally heavy boned arms and long reaches 82 and 84 respectively. You step with a jab like that and turn it over sharply and it will hurt. They had powerful jabs as far as jabs go but they weren't stopping people cold with it.

you can have variations of the jab, but you need a text book jab first - its the most efficient tool in the book. the other jabs you speak of are for tricks or one time uses, sneaky things. you don't see Chavez rapidly using a mexican jab over and over again. more like, jab jab jab, mexican, jab jab jab etc
                Last edited by them_apples; 01-10-2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X