Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
    From the 1961 Ring Record Book:

MAX BAER...……………………………………………JOE LOUIS

6 ft. 2½ in...…...….....Height……………….6 ft. 1½ in.

214 lbs………………......Weight…………..………218 lbs.

81 in...……………...…...Reach...………………....76in.

44 in...…………….…...Chest, Nor...………...….42 in.

47½ in...…………..…..Chest, Exp....…...…...45 in.

32½ in...…………………..Waist…………………...36½ in.

14½ in...…………………..Biceps...……………....15 in.

17½ in...…………………...Neck...………………...17 in.

8 in...…………………………Wrist………………….…...8 in.

15 in...……………………...Calf……………………….14 in.

9½ in...…………………….Ankel...……………….….10 in.

21 in...……………………..Thigh……………….…….22½ in.

12 in...……………………...Fist...…………………….11Ύ in.

14 in...…………………….Forearm…………………..12 in.

It says that these measurements were "compiled from official weighing-in records".

Louis in his prime was around 200 lbs… so why they would chose his heaviest ever 218 (against Charles), is a bit strange.
    Thank You for the post!

Almost not a single measurement matches; it may well be Louis from a later fight (considering the weight.)

Only Baer's Chest (n) is the same, even Chest (ex) is off by a half inch; they got the all important "ankle" wrong by entire inch. (Why do they measure ankles? Back in the 1930s they didn't measure fists but they did measure ankles???)

Normally I would argue that the more primary source (the newspaper) should take precedent but those thigh measurements really discredit the newspaper and I suspect The Ring Record Book is likely closer.

One might suspect that The Ring Record Book took single measurement for each fighter and applied it to every fight.

Did The Ring Record Book have these measurements juxtaposed against each other Baer-Louis (Tale-of-the Tape) or are they generic measurements for each champion and you placed Baer opposite Louis?

Either way they are more realistic measurements than the NYTimes offered its readers the day before the fight.

Comment

All the champions are listed in chronological order, together with their measurements.

I just listed Baer and Louis opposite each other, as these were the two you asked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
        All the champions are listed in chronological order, together with their measurements.

I just listed Baer and Louis opposite each other, as these were the two you asked about.
        OK thanks - then we don't know what fight the measurements are from, although you recognized the Charles fight for Louis; I wonder how old Baer was (what fight) those measurements came from.

I really searched hard and could only find one set of measurements for Baer. Louis on the other hand, I have five or six fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
          OK thanks - then we don't know what fight the measurements are from, although you recognized the Charles fight for Louis; I wonder how old Baer was (what fight) those measurements came from.

I really searched hard and could only find one set of measurements for Baer. Louis on the other hand, I have five or six fights.
          Maybe they are in some old Ring books?

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
            Could skill and a southpaw style overcome brute Force? Or would Moorers chin be crushed
            If I was a betting man I'm sure I would put my money on Baer by KO. All it would take Is just one mistake by Moorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Flak View Post
              If I was a betting man I'm sure I would put my money on Baer by KO. All it would take Is just one mistake by Moorer.
              Like the handle. I believe it was Dabney Coleman's hero character in Cloak and Dagger.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Like the handle. I believe it was Dabney Coleman's hero character in Cloak and Dagger.
                Or the brother of Jack Black

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Or the brother of Jack Black
                  Or a character in the Super Nintendo game Rival Turf.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                    As good a lt heavyweight Moorer was he stunk as a hwt. Moorer lacked movement but he would step foreword or sidestep using his jab. As a Southpaw he was vulnerable to the straight right hand. Barr’s right was one of boxings histories strongest blows. If we are talking both men at their best that IMO would be the Baer who koed Schmeling in ten tough rounds vs the Moorer from his win Holyfield. Moorer starts well outboxing Baer as Max looks for an opening for his right hand. At some point mid fight Baer lands a haymaker that ends the bout. I’d favor Moorer in perhaps a six round fight. 12-15 rounds eventually Baer tags him.
                    Yeah about what I was thinking

Comment

Originally posted by the old lefhook View Post
                      he is in the discussion when he and his mother are talking over the lh atgs.
                      lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X