No announcement yet.

Michael Moorer vs Max Baer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
    A focused Baer was a very tough and dangerous opponent and a true hwt. Moore’s was at best a so-so hwt and really a blown up lt hwt. Baer the night he beat Schmeling ices Moorer.
    ^^^^^ This here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
      Can I ask, where you got these numbers from? Some of them look ok - but especially the leg measurements seem WAY off (for both men).
      What do mean? I can see Bear's might be kinda skinny.

Here's Ali and Frazier:

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        What do mean? I can see Bear's might be kinda skinny.

Here's Ali and Frazier:

In the 1961 edition of the Ring Record Book (page 57), there's a "tale of the tape" for every heavyweight champion from Corbett to Patterson.

In this group of former champions Moorer's 26½ thigh would be bigger that Jeffries' 25 and Willard's 26. Only Carnera would have a bigger thigh at 30.

Carnera, not surprisingly, is way bigger than almost everybody else in most departments. For example, at 11½ his ankel is a full in larger than Willard's 10½ (2nd largest in this group). I find it HIGHLY unlikely that Moorer is anywhere close to his listed 13 in!

Bob Fitzsimmons is often being seen as this freakish figure, with a strong upper body and stilts for legs. And sure enough, he has the smallest thighs at just 20 in. Again, I find it hard to believe, that Baer only had 18 in thighs - which, incidentally, would be ½ in smaller than Carnera's 18½ in biceps!

But you guys can try and measure the circumference of your own thighs - and unless you're a bantam or featherweight, I would be surprised if any of you comes close to as little as 18 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
          Think moorer right jab is the equalizer in the fight. Michael was a very athletic guy don’t forget. Baer liked a good brawl
          And I think moorer moves enough a gets out of dodge winning a close fight
          Cool choice of names... bear.. would smash Moore’s.. dreams, better the old big George did.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            ^^^^^ This here.
            I’m talkin to you.. the poster you quoted was is perfect in his analysis..

Summer is ending... I note the passing of time... 5 weeks from now.. I’ll be in America, 12 weeks and I’ll be in India...

I’ll most probably be too busy trying to figure out everything..

The poster you quoted... excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
              But you guys can try and measure the circumference of your own thighs - and unless you're a bantam or featherweight, I would be surprised if any of you comes close to as little as 18 inches.

As I said earlier I agree the numbers I posted are very odd looking an 18" thigh is very (too) thin for a man with a 47 chest (e). Baer does look a bit top heavy in film but still it just seems too small.

What is interesting is that Louis's thigh is listed at only being 20" and that just doesn't seem correct either. I wonder if the newspaper mixed up some numbers or if at that time they used a different manner in measuring the thigh.

I can't find anywhere a second tape of Max Baer; someone earlier mentioned the Ring Record Book as having all the champs, I wonder what that book stated for both Baer and Louis, I would like to hear.

Here it is again, the only one I can find; it looks wrong to me as well; both Louis and Baer.

Comment

He is in the discussion when he and his mother are talking over the LH ATGs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                  As I said earlier I agree the numbers I posted are very odd looking an 18" thigh is very (too) thin for a man with a 47 chest (e). Baer does look a bit top heavy in film but still it just seems too small.

What is interesting is that Louis's thigh is listed at only being 20" and that just doesn't seem correct either. I wonder if the newspaper mixed up some numbers or if at that time they used a different manner in measuring the thigh.

I can't find anywhere a second tape of Max Baer; someone earlier mentioned the Ring Record Book as having all the champs, I wonder what that book stated for both Baer and Louis, I would like to hear.

Here it is again, the only one I can find; it looks wrong to me as well; both Louis and Baer.

From the 1961 Ring Record Book:

MAX BAER...……………………………………………JOE LOUIS

6 ft. 2½ in...…...….....Height……………….6 ft. 1½ in.

214 lbs………………......Weight…………..………218 lbs.

81 in...……………...…...Reach...………………....76in.

44 in...…………….…...Chest, Nor...………...….42 in.

47½ in...…………..…..Chest, Exp....…...…...45 in.

32½ in...…………………..Waist…………………...36½ in.

14½ in...…………………..Biceps...……………....15 in.

17½ in...…………………...Neck...………………...17 in.

8 in...…………………………Wrist………………….…...8 in.

15 in...……………………...Calf……………………….14 in.

9½ in...…………………….Ankel...……………….….10 in.

21 in...……………………..Thigh……………….…….22½ in.

12 in...……………………...Fist...…………………….11Ύ in.

14 in...…………………….Forearm…………………..12 in.

It says that these measurements were "compiled from official weighing-in records".

Louis in his prime was around 200 lbs… so why they would chose his heaviest ever 218 (against Charles), is a bit strange.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    He is in the discussion when he and his mother are talking over the LH ATGs.
                    Look up how many light heavyweight champions in history were able to become heavyweight champions. Then get back to us.

Comment

The Baer eats him up...

Comment

Working...
                      X