Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have my 5th amateur bout against a slick souuthpaw advice please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have my 5th amateur bout against a slick souuthpaw advice please.

I have only sparred with 2 southpaws and each of them for three rounds and I know on Friday the 12th I know who I am facing I have seen him fight twice and he is a slick southpaw a black kid reminds me of Paul Williams a bit lol. But can anyone give me advice on facing southpaws and what angles are combos are good please. Everyone in the gym I go to is basically right handed so I am unfamiliar with facing them. Replies appreciated thank you.

why dont you seek advice from your trainer?...??...??

Comment

all southpaws are different, we have no idea how will you match up against him. I could advise you not to wait on south paws, be first, dig that left hook to the body (liver) as often as you can and then bring it to the head, move to your left, work that right hand down the pipe.

Comment

your basic weapons are right hand, left hook.

Remember this: the southpaw has his jab hand closer to your jab hand, that means that his liver is closer and the left hook is not a reach. left uppercut - also a little closer. the right hand has more of an opening through the gloves, meaning (theoretically): if he slips out, he's out of reach to counter, if he slips inwards, catch him with your left hook.

now if he's a workhorse like Paul Williams, u need to go in and out and use your counters. if he's reaching for shots, you time him right after and counter with a left hook and right hand to the head (or plexus if he's taller), then turn towards the outside of his right hand, so that he has to turn towards you for the next attack, in which case you can time and catch him again. so important: footwork, distance and counterpunching.

this is a basic fight plan u can use i guess (or at least start off with).

Comment

use a lot of feints. head feints, foot fients, hand feints.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
            I have only sparred with 2 southpaws and each of them for three rounds and I know on Friday the 12th I know who I am facing I have seen him fight twice and he is a slick southpaw a black kid reminds me of Paul Williams a bit lol. But can anyone give me advice on facing southpaws and what angles are combos are good please. Everyone in the gym I go to is basically right handed so I am unfamiliar with facing them. Replies appreciated thank you.
            slip jab left uppercut and right cross

hold your right hand a little farther out since you wont have to worry as much about a left hook since its such a reach, doing this allows you to have your right hand closer too the target and have an easier time blocking his straight left.

feint your right hand constantly.

Comment

left hooks,straight rights, and keep your left foot on the outside of his right.

Comment

Co-sign the heads who mentioned feints, I'm lefty and that's what rightys try to do all the time. The problem with that, though is if the guy is a counter puncher, regardless, that's great advice against a lefty, that and the right followed by two hooks to body or head or head or body. Those are the basics against a lefty.

Comment

watchout for his right hooks and left straights, similary throw left hooks and right straights.

Comment

coach

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
                    It wouid do u disservice 2 give u advice without seing what your style is!your coach and your trainer should know how to give you all trhe prep u need!what cityt do you live in and what gym you belong with no coach?no trainer?u need a coach who will spar with you assuming the southpaw position!paul williams is a great boxer and great fighter!

Comment

Working...
                    X