Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marvin Hagler Praises Golovkin, Slams Boxing's Title Confusion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
    Floyd was retired for two years doe. I'm glad you brought that up becuse when Hagler was 44-2 and beating up on 10-5 fighters, Floyd was whipping fighters like Canelo who was 42-0.

Two years after retirement, Hagler was smoking crack, smacking his wife, and running off to Italy to hide from Sugar's shadow.

And he also had two losses and a draw. It was his own fault. Nobody froze Hagler out like he said he was, it's bullshít cuz the title kept changing hands. And to make matters worse, he fought Vito who is 5'7" to a draw. Floyd is taller than Vito. Floyd would have tore that áss up like a dog tears up a newspaper.

I remember Hagler fighting a lot of smaller guys coming up like Hearns who was only was really his best at WW, I remember that.

Or Duran who really weighed in as a JMW and WAS WINNING going into the 13th round (today with 12's Hagler would have lost on the cards) after being the smaller guy coming up from Bantam Weight. BANTAM WEIGHT!!! By todays standards, imagine if Donaire made his way to MW and fought GGG and was winning going into the 10th??? How could anyone EVER give GGG credit for that???

Mugabi, I remember that hype job they told us was a killer but never fought anybody and got force-inhected into the rankings.

Anytime you want to discuss Mugabi in detail, I'll beat the brakes off you.

Like I said before, at the end of the day Hagler is about as great as Winky Wright. Beating up on smaller guys for your best wins and crying like a BÍTCH when you lose blaming everything under the sun but yourself. Yea, I remember that guy.
    Im not saying he didn't have soft fights also, im saying who did he duck at middle. Say what you like about Mugabi, at the time he was a respected puncher. He actually trained at the Thomas a Beckett when my own trainer was there, and knocked out heavyweights. Hagler cleaned up at middle. Yeah, he fought famous guys who came up weights, what was he meant to do, turn down the mega money and the fights people at the time wanted to see? You wont talk Tommy Hearns down to me mate, years later hes beating Virgil Hill and Nate Miller at cruiserweight. He was chinny but still a great fighter and great puncher. So who did Hagler duck then? You gonna say Qawi? Spinks? Have a day off mate..�� PS, now Durans coming up from Bantam? Have another day off ��
    Last edited by Mindgames; 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HardcoreJMoore View Post
      You recall Hagler’s past opponents like someone who was around when they occurred. Which leads me to wonder if you were among the hooligans who coronated Hagler by throwing full beer bottles at him when he beat Minter. It would come as no surprise for any one of that lot to try and throw the very evidence of the oppression Hagler overcame, as well as proof that he had far more honor than his predecessors, back in his face. He won the title in his 50th fight after being frozen out of the title picture for years as the top contender. Floyd Mayweather RETIRED after fifty fights. Hagler not only faced the top Middleweights-Philly’s best- none of the champions wanted to fight, he beat them against overwhelming odds; on their home turf. All just to get a title shot! Even then, they still unjustly tried to deny him.Hagler
      travelled a hard road unheard of since. FOH
      Your first mistake is you're brain is too small to challenge me. Before you start barking on my block, you better learn how to bite lil' fella. You tried painting me as a lifelong hater which isn't very smart of you now is it?? You should have considered your options before settling in.

I should have you know Mr. Wallotext, I was a fan of Hagler's back then. I didn't know any better, I was just like y'all, slurping up what they told us to slurp.

As I got older I: competed, learned the sport in and out, mastered how to score - I got wiser.

If you want to get your shít kicked in LIVE in front of everybody here, let me know who these Philly killa's were? From what I see Hagler beat a lot of nobodies and lost to 2 of them along the way. The rest were a bunch of 5'7" midgets who look like novice Golden Gloves fighters.

Your second mistake is believing with ZERO evidence that he was frozen out of the title. If you ACTUALLY LOOK at who had the title you would see it was changing hands very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgames View Post
        Say what you like about Mugabi, at the time he was a respected puncher. He actually trained at the Thomas a Beckett when my own trainer was there, and knocked out heavyweights. Hagler cleaned up at middle. Yeah, he fought famous guys who came up weights, what was he meant to do, turn down the mega money and the fights people at the time wanted to see? You wont talk Tommy Hearns down to me mate, years later hes beating Virgil Hill and Nate Miller at cruiserweight. He was chinny but still a great fighter and great puncher. So who did Hagler duck then? You gonna say Qawi? Spinks? Have a day off mate..�� PS, now Durans coming up from Bantam? Have another day off ��
        You lying like a rug boy, you just repeating the papers. You don't know shít so stop acting like it. When I fought in the AM's I made some HW's quit in sparring and I was nowhere near HW. I was just better than them and knew what I had to do.

They told us Mugabi was this killer, he ran roughshod over the division, and how he finished each of his opponents inside the distance.

Phil Berger who was writing for the New York times in 1986 noted the intensity of preparation that left his sparring partners in a 'woebegone condition' and further that some did not last long enough to draw their second paycheck and left Mugabi’s training camp ‘looking like extras from 'Night of the Living Dead'.

The common denominator here is Mugabi fought and stopped a bunch of fighters who were coming off ko/tko losses and had strings of losses throughout their career. It makes you wonder how Ring Magazine decides on these accolades of prestige. How do those fights catapult anybody to International Prominence - Progress of the Year?

Ring Magazine rankings for junior middleweight 1986 was:
        1. Duane Thomas
        2. McCallum
        3. Drayton
        4. Mugabi
        5. Hilton
        6. Curry
        7. Santos
        8. Moore
        9. Julian Jackson
        10. Medal

Ring Magazine rankings for middleweight in 1986 was:
        1. Hearns
        2. Sims
        3. Graham
        4. Barkley
        5. Olajide
        6. Kinchen
        7. McCrory
        8. Nunn
        9. Holmes
        10. FrankTate

How was Mugabi ranked #1 by all three bodies (WBC,WBA,IBF) when he didn’t even have a title, wasn’t even in the top 3 in the weight class below, and hadn’t beaten a soul? I thought the best fought the best back then?

McCallum (24-0), Curry (24-0), Jackson (26-0), or Nunn (13-0) would have been much better alternatives to Mugabi, no? Hagler would have gottten WRECKED by those guys.

Instead they go with a 25-0-25 Mugabi and I’ll give you one guess who “they” were: Bob Arum at Top Rank who ran Hagler (probably Mugabi too). Bob is known for bribing officials for rankings, especially the IBF president Bobby Lee.

The only name I recognize on Mugabi’s record as a win is vs Ricky Stackhouse. You’re probably thinking, who in the hell is Ricky Stackhouse?

The only reason I know who Ricky Stackhouse is because I downloaded a career set of fights for Roy Jones Jr. like 15 years ago that had all of his early camcorder fights and Ricky Stackhouse was one of those fighters.

Ricky Stackhouse fought a ton of big names and got knocked out by all of them including his last 3 out of his last 6 fights (all 6 were losses) before Mugabi.

After fighting Hagler, Mugabi got knocked out by Duane Thomas (TKO 3), Terry Norris (KO 1), Gerald McClennan (KO 1), William Bo James (UD), Anthony Bigeni (TKO 8), and finally to Glen Kelly (TKO 8).

Did Hagler ruin Mugabi? Probably, you won’t get any argument out of me there. On the contrary, the likes of a Bruce ‘The Mouse’ Strauss (78-53(28)-6-56) might have ruined Mugabi too. Who knows?

“Marvin didn’t want to do the Mugabi fight,” Arum told UCNLive.com last week on the fight’s anniversary. “Marvin wanted to retire after the Hearns fight and, in a weak moment, he signed for the Mugabi fight and it was supposed to take place in November of the previous year (1985) and he didn’t train and he was sort of injured. So we postponed it till the following March but Hagler was never into the Mugabi fight.”

TL;DR 2.0

Looking closely at Mugabi before and after Hagler, I think it’s safe to say Mugabi was a manufactured hype machine. He wasn’t a killer of giants, but more a slayer of gym rats. It’s interesting how the corrupt media, sanctioning bodies, and promoters can reverse euhemerize whoever they wish into whatever image they wish, throw it against a wall and see if it sticks.
        Last edited by McNulty; 02-18-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Your words verify the cognitive distortion that fogs up the lenses you see through. Hearns the smaller man in their fight? He wasn’t ever considered small at LT. HEAVYWEIGHT. And you state that Duran was winning after 12 as if it were the truth and not the scoring inaccuracies that it really was. You obviously think you are the smartest person in the room because your opinions and observations are shared by no one else who has ever followed the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
            Talking smack about two great fight fighters while having Fernando "fu-cking" Vargas as your avatar. Nothing to see here, folks.
            I was kidding, genius.

Seems you need a history lesson, dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
              I was kidding, genius.

Seems you need a history lesson, dummy.

I don't need a Youtube refresher on Fernando Vargas' career. I saw it and remember it well. He was good, but nowhere near great. You should change your avi to Hagler or GGG, dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                Fck the haters and fake fans who care more about talking trash on line than the sport itself. Golovkin is one of the ATG MWs.
                No he isn't. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                  You lying like a rug boy, you just repeating the papers. You don't know shít so stop acting like it. When I fought in the AM's I made some HW's quit in sparring and I was nowhere near HW. I was just better than them and knew what I had to do.

They told us Mugabi was this killer, he ran roughshod over the division, and how he finished each of his opponents inside the distance.

Phil Berger who was writing for the New York times in 1986 noted the intensity of preparation that left his sparring partners in a 'woebegone condition' and further that some did not last long enough to draw their second paycheck and left Mugabi’s training camp ‘looking like extras from 'Night of the Living Dead'.

The common denominator here is Mugabi fought and stopped a bunch of fighters who were coming off ko/tko losses and had strings of losses throughout their career. It makes you wonder how Ring Magazine decides on these accolades of prestige. How do those fights catapult anybody to International Prominence - Progress of the Year?

Ring Magazine rankings for junior middleweight 1986 was:
                  1. Duane Thomas
                  2. McCallum
                  3. Drayton
                  4. Mugabi
                  5. Hilton
                  6. Curry
                  7. Santos
                  8. Moore
                  9. Julian Jackson
                  10. Medal

Ring Magazine rankings for middleweight in 1986 was:
                  1. Hearns
                  2. Sims
                  3. Graham
                  4. Barkley
                  5. Olajide
                  6. Kinchen
                  7. McCrory
                  8. Nunn
                  9. Holmes
                  10. FrankTate

How was Mugabi ranked #1 by all three bodies (WBC,WBA,IBF) when he didn’t even have a title, wasn’t even in the top 3 in the weight class below, and hadn’t beaten a soul? I thought the best fought the best back then?

McCallum (24-0), Curry (24-0), Jackson (26-0), or Nunn (13-0) would have been much better alternatives to Mugabi, no? Hagler would have gottten WRECKED by those guys.

Instead they go with a 25-0-25 Mugabi and I’ll give you one guess who “they” were: Bob Arum at Top Rank who ran Hagler (probably Mugabi too). Bob is known for bribing officials for rankings, especially the IBF president Bobby Lee.

The only name I recognize on Mugabi’s record as a win is vs Ricky Stackhouse. You’re probably thinking, who in the hell is Ricky Stackhouse?

The only reason I know who Ricky Stackhouse is because I downloaded a career set of fights for Roy Jones Jr. like 15 years ago that had all of his early camcorder fights and Ricky Stackhouse was one of those fighters.

Ricky Stackhouse fought a ton of big names and got knocked out by all of them including his last 3 out of his last 6 fights (all 6 were losses) before Mugabi.

After fighting Hagler, Mugabi got knocked out by Duane Thomas (TKO 3), Terry Norris (KO 1), Gerald McClennan (KO 1), William Bo James (UD), Anthony Bigeni (TKO 8), and finally to Glen Kelly (TKO 8).

Did Hagler ruin Mugabi? Probably, you won’t get any argument out of me there. On the contrary, the likes of a Bruce ‘The Mouse’ Strauss (78-53(28)-6-56) might have ruined Mugabi too. Who knows?

“Marvin didn’t want to do the Mugabi fight,” Arum told UCNLive.com last week on the fight’s anniversary. “Marvin wanted to retire after the Hearns fight and, in a weak moment, he signed for the Mugabi fight and it was supposed to take place in November of the previous year (1985) and he didn’t train and he was sort of injured. So we postponed it till the following March but Hagler was never into the Mugabi fight.”

TL;DR 2.0

Looking closely at Mugabi before and after Hagler, I think it’s safe to say Mugabi was a manufactured hype machine. He wasn’t a killer of giants, but more a slayer of gym rats. It’s interesting how the corrupt media, sanctioning bodies, and promoters can reverse euhemerize whoever they wish into whatever image they wish, throw it against a wall and see if it sticks.
                  I dont waste time lying to Internet nobodies like you. I trained at the Lynn under the Simms brothers and at the Henry Cooper under Lloyd Honeygan who you may have heard of. He saw Mugabi knock out Heavyweights in sparring, at the Beckett, you not liking the man doesnt change what he said, and id take Lloyds word over you, a noentity who means nothing to me. So you think Mugabi was a hype job, despite the fact you never reached anywhere near that level yourself. Thats between you and your hating self, nobody cares. Hagler cleaned out the division, and was already at the end by 86 87.As much as id have loved to watch him chase boring as feck Herol Graham around for 15 rounds, it probably made alot more sense he fought Leonard. Now, i know you got some bias axe to grind with the Duran was a bantam comment more than giving you away but that aint of much interest to me. Calling me names just gives away your lack of faith in your logical argument. Who did Hagler duck? What makes him not a great fighter? We can all do the take an opponent, look at who they lost to when they were shot, and then remove any significance from the win routine. Seriously you can do that with every fighter.

Comment

Marvelous was and is the toughest I ever seen! Duran proved to have the best chin I ever seen. Leonard was the smartest.. And they all were from that insane era of boxing that hooked me for life. As well as create more frustration nowadays that need be. Frustration in matchups and true deserving champs who earn their belt. And keep it till you pry it from their beaten carcass. He's absolutly right.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      No he isn't. Sorry.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUGbzsx0S8

How can anyone watch someone like Monzon and say he would have a chance against GGG. You can argue about ATG should be relative to status in their era, but even then GGG would rank very highly in the MW ranks.

As far as overall talent, athletes are just getting bigger and stronger. GGG would have eviscerated someone like Monzon and almost every other past MW champ. Hagler, these comments notwithstanding, would have been a problem for anyone. If you could box and move you could trouble him but if you tried to go to war with Hagler, well then RIP. Him and GGG going to war would have been a hell of a fight to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X