Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rematch Clauses in Contracts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody would ever fight a tricky voluntary without them.

Comment

Originally posted by True-Boxing-Fan View Post
      Do y’all like them or not? Should they be banned in contracts? Are they really necessary?

I’ve never been a fan of rematch clauses in contracts. To me they were always a way for certain fighters to try and monopolies and protect their belts and spot at the top.

My belief has always been if a certain fighter beats an established champ, so be it. Let that established champ work his way back to the top. If he’s really “that” good he will get his shot again.

To me rematch clauses are for the weak minded fighter.
      Getting rid of rematch clauses would cause more problems than solve anything. You have to protect the champion, else you would create a situation whereby champions would be picking the weakest opponents they can beat. If you can beat the champion once and you know it’s not a fluke, why not do it again? Or perhaps beat the champion into submission so he won’t be able to exercise the rematch clause like Josh did with Wlad and Charles Martin.

Oh, let’s get rid of warranty when you buy a new item because once you buy it, that’s it. Or oh, let’s get rid of divorce because once you decide to marry someone, that’s it. That’s basically how you sound.

Comment

Do y’all like them or not? Should they be banned in contracts? Are they really necessary?

I’ve never been a fan of rematch clauses in contracts. To me they were always a way for certain fighters to try and monopolies and protect their belts and spot at the top.

My belief has always been if a certain fighter beats an established champ, so be it. Let that established champ work his way back to the top. If he’s really “that” good he will get his shot again.

Rematch clauses are part of boxing and will always be part of boxing which is a business as well as a sport. We can't change that.Canelo probably has one every time he puts his titles on the line and Wilder probably has one in place for every fight too. These aren't weak minded boxers and their promoters make sure these rematch clauses are in the contract. Most challengers will agree to a rematch clause to get a title shot.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
          Getting rid of rematch clauses would cause more problems than solve anything. You have to protect the champion, else you would create a situation whereby champions would be picking the weakest opponents they can beat. If you can beat the champion once and you know it’s not a fluke, why not do it again? Or perhaps beat the champion into submission so he won’t be able to exercise the rematch clause like Josh did with Wlad and Charles Martin.

Oh, let’s get rid of warranty when you buy a new item because once you buy it, that’s it. Or oh, let’s get rid of divorce because once you decide to marry someone, that’s it. That’s basically how you sound.
          Lol lol We have to protect the champion. Lol lol lol. What a joke of a statement that is. Spoken like a guy hurt over AJ losing.

Protect the champion from what?

If the champion loses a very controversial decision sanctioning bodies have the authority to demand an immediate rematch and have done that many times.

If a champion loses by fluke KO then if he’s “that” good then he’ll get himself back to where he needs to be.

So as a fan I say **** rematch clauses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
            The weak minded are the people that sign them.
            Like Ruiz would have been given the shot otherwise. Dude stepped up and knocked AJ into another world.

If he thinks that rematch clause is going to save him, AJ has another thing coming.

Comment

Lol lol We have to protect the champion. Lol lol lol. What a joke of a statement that is. Spoken like a guy hurt over AJ losing.

Protect the champion from what?

If the champion loses a very controversial decision sanctioning bodies have the authority to demand an immediate rematch and have done that many times.

If a champion loses by fluke KO then if he’s “that” good then he’ll get himself back to where he needs to be.

So as a fan I say **** rematch clauses.
              Rematch clauses are standard for voluntary defences and have been for a long time. Price to pay for jumping the queue. If a fighter doesn't want a rematch clause he can go the mandatory route.

Comment

I disagree. A champion has a due process to have a rematch clause. He is giving the other fighter a chance, but it’s a security blanket. It’s called A side privilege. That’s all there is to it.

Comment

And if that fighter who beat him froze him out again?

Not only that, but it protects fighters who actually bring huge money to the game and don't wish to be f3cked over by the other guy asking for extremely ridiculous amounts of money in the rematch without a clause. This protects them. Why should fighters build something only to let some other fighter come in and take off with everything?

Without it Ruiz would have offered the huge money maker the same he got and thought of it as legit to fight for the title again. That's the kind of madness that happens in this sport. Too many scum bags around not to protect yourself.

Comment

In that case, public, media, and sanctioning body outcry that would put pressure on the new champ for a rematch or if not he’d just be a non respected lame duck champion.

**** rematch clauses in contracts. They are not necessary under any circumstances.
                    The media and public would put pressure on them? Yeah, the media and fans did a good job of that getting Wilder to fight AJ or Whyte.

What world do you live in?

Comment

Without a rematch clause you'd struggle to get a decent voluntary defence ever.

At the end of the day, what is a voluntary defence? It's to keep active and make money.

Joshua isn't risking his belts against Ruiz without some guarantee he gets another crack at winning them back.

Comment

Working...
                      X